This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FTP Test by Garmin is totally wrong and not the Standard Protocol?

i am not sure, but i think, the Garmin FTP Test is totally wrong and not like the Standard FTP Test Protocols, or?

in the 20min phase, the Garmin Test change the Target of the Power every 4 minutes higher, the first 4 minutes are arround my actual FTP and then Garmin increases the value, after 8 minutes to a value where it's impossible for me, to hold till to 12 minutes, same after the next step, the target is now so high, more ore less 100 Watt over my actual FTP, it's impossible to hold it so long.

Why all other to the FTP testing different, like Zwift, in Zwift you get the message after 10minutes, you have now a average of e.g.210 Watt, try to increase it, so you cqan hold it for the next 10 minutes?

i know, i do cycling for fun and i am near 50 years old, but is this Testing really right?

• i understand how the FTP detections works totally and it works correct, but that means, the guided FTP-Test himself is a thing by Garmin only?

the LT test for running works perfect for me, the target is always dynamic to my heartbeat, the FTP Test seems to have static values instead of dynamic, thats the thing i don't understand

When i change my maxHR for the LT Test, the target HR in the guided LT Test is changing too, for my point of view correct, so i think this have to work on the guided FTP Test the same way?

• I'm still having trouble tracking your specific problem.

Is the FTP detected by your device completely off target somehow?

Is your concern primarily with the step up targets for the controlled FTP test protocol?

Honestly, the best thing to do is probably to contact Garmin Support with a very concise description of your issue. 

•  i think the FTP detections himself is OK, but think in the past there runs something wrong and there is no possibility to reset the vo2max and FTP.

my colleague in my work have the same issue, its impossible to get the target of the FTP test protocol and at the beginning we got both to high vo2max and FTP because the vector 3 pedals made lot of problems, to high power reading till 1000 Watt and so.
     we got both replacement pedals, now the pedals seems OK, but the database don't forget our extrem good vo2max and FTP, it's impossible to reset.

we both tried to contact Garmin several times, but both we got no answer or things we already tried, we are both from IT and i think we have lot of knowledge of other technical things, the german support only offers replacement of the devices, but it's not a problem on the device, it's more a generell software problem coming from the database

So this thread was our last hope, especially you and of course 

• I see. That does sound like a frustrating situation, sorry to hear about it.

One of the very attractive features of any sort of monitoring technology is the ability to create a complete record of your situation over time, and it's not fun when outliers get imprinted in that history. 

The good news is that any influence bad data workouts have on your physiological analytics should disappear over the course of a few weeks, assuming you are recording new workouts regularly. 

• The Guided FTP test picks up on LTHR as an FTP test, and is intended to generate sufficient HR data below and above it to identify this point. It is basically a ramp test, where you keep increasing until you fail. "Impossible to hold" is the goal of a ramp test.

The structure of a ramp test is different from the 8 or 20 minute protocols, where you try to hold a steady pace throughout.

However, the 830 will also automatically pick up your FTP from a 20 minute test if you prefer that protocol. I've never tried the 8 minute version.

• The Guided FTP test picks up on LTHR as an FTP test, and is intended to generate sufficient HR data below and above it to identify this point. It is basically a ramp test, where you keep increasing until you fail. "Impossible to hold" is the goal of a ramp test.

The structure of a ramp test is different from the 8 or 20 minute protocols, where you try to hold a steady pace throughout.

However, the 830 will also automatically pick up your FTP from a 20 minute test if you prefer that protocol. I've never tried the 8 minute version.

thats one of my problem too, i think the Garmin Eco System can't handle 2 different LTHR, if you only cycling, i think, there is no problem, but when you are running too, then it is a problem..

my cycling LTHR is 10 bpm lower then my running LTHR and thats the problem, it's impossible to use 2 different LTHR because then the LTHR on running is changing when you make a ride, vice versa, when you do a ride, the LTHR for running is changing, so the only possibility, use the same LTHR for running and cycling and for now, my cycling LTHR is 10 bpm to high:-\

• Says who? You can setup different zones for different gear and for cycling, swimming and running

• Says who? You can setup different zones for different gear and for cycling, swimming and running

Yes it can. You can set up different HR zones for running, cycling, swimming and general.

If you prefer the 20 minute test over ramp tests, then use the 20 minute method. It works, and Garmin will generate an FTP based on 95% of your 20 minute power.

look what i have written before, i can configure different HR Zones and different LTHR, but then the other things going wrong, didn't know, if this only happens to me, when i do a ride over my cycling LTHR, then the LTHR for running changing to the same as i have for cycling and vice versa

• Yes it can. You can set up different HR zones for running, cycling, swimming and general.

If you prefer the 20 minute test over ramp tests, then use the 20 minute method. It works, and Garmin will generate an FTP based on 95% of your 20 minute power.

• You could always turn LTHR detection on your 830 off. This way you won't confuse cycling FTP with running LTHR. Personally, I find my running and cycling LTHR are currently the same, although this might change when I start doing more LT specific training.