This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FTP Test by Garmin is totally wrong and not the Standard Protocol?

i am not sure, but i think, the Garmin FTP Test is totally wrong and not like the Standard FTP Test Protocols, or?

in the 20min phase, the Garmin Test change the Target of the Power every 4 minutes higher, the first 4 minutes are arround my actual FTP and then Garmin increases the value, after 8 minutes to a value where it's impossible for me, to hold till to 12 minutes, same after the next step, the target is now so high, more ore less 100 Watt over my actual FTP, it's impossible to hold it so long.

Why all other to the FTP testing different, like Zwift, in Zwift you get the message after 10minutes, you have now a average of e.g.210 Watt, try to increase it, so you cqan hold it for the next 10 minutes?

i know, i do cycling for fun and i am near 50 years old, but is this Testing really right?

• Perfectly reasonable to ask why this test is different to the more common 20 minute test. There are many ways of testing for ftp. The method here is called a ramp test

Some info here

https://blog.trainerroad.com/new-ramp-test-makes-ftp-testing-more-efficient-and-less-stressful/

• It is working the correct way - that's the thing you are not understanding. It's just not the way how you like the test to be. Like everybody here is trying to tell you, there are so many ways to test your FTP. The Elemnt Bolt for example comes even with two - doesn't mean that one is wrong and they just added it anyway. But instead you want Garmin to change the test the way you like it "because it is not correct and it doesn't work". But now I'm understanding the real problem - you are the kind of user who likes to find something to complain about, no matter what.

But answer this:

Why don't you create your own FTP test and load it onto your Edge 830? And why do you even have auto calculate activated, if you want to get your FTP from a test instead of a hard ride (which is also why you get a new FTP when you fail the test)?

• He is not asking why it is different! He wants Garmin to fix the broken FTP test. Because in his head, it doesn't follow the standard FTP test protocol. Btw, WHAT standard?? It is just a number of wattage you can keep for a longer period of time. You can link to trainerroad, Coggan, Friel, etc. he won't change his mind. For this reason, I'm done with this guy

• I don't think his question is offbase, but the english translation is a bit of a challenge.  The big issue s/he is facing is that the ramp is too hard of a slope.  Not that it is going over ftp, but the amount and immediacy of it. 

S/He is saying the test starts at FTP for some amount of time, which should add some fatigue to his system.  It then ramps immediately to 150% of their ftp, vs doing 2-3 minute steps.  Then at 150% of ftp max it is not possible (due to fatigue) to complete the second portion of the test (4-8 min?) so they get a test failed message. 

To the firstbeat person who responded: Can you give us the suggested protocol that garmin is using in ramp vs %ftp and for how long?

Could the OP be overestimating their FTP which leads to the failure or is there an implementation issue, or is it physiological and most people should be able to do 150% for the prescribed amount of time?

• thanks for the understandig and help, of course, my english isn't the best, i am from austria Smirk

thx to all the others too!

and  please, can you help here again, especially for the last sentence of ?

or is it possible to configure the FTP Test for different groups of riders (beginners, medium, pros) or something like that? 

• Graph in the OP doesn't show that, if I'm reading it right it shows it going up 20 watts every 3 or 4 minutes.

• You can preview what the test is on the Edge and see the power range in each step.

The test is based off of your VO2 max value on the Edge. You can reduce the difficult of the test by lowering the current VO2 value you have on the Edge.

• here now my Screenshots, first the Overview:

Overview of FTP Test

Warm Up and first Intervall for 4 minutes between 180-200 Watt:

Warm Up

second Intervall 4 minutes with 200-220W:

third intervall 4 minutes with 240-260 W:

fourth and last intervall 3 minutes with 260-280W and cool down 2 minutes: 

here is the failed FTP Test message from my real Test:

my FTP is pending between 188 till 210W, my vo2max mostly between 47 till 49, but how i can reduce my vo2max, over the userprofile it didn't work, do i have to reduce my HRmax 20-30bpm?

• You would need to reduce/change it in Garmin Connect and then sync.

Go to the list of devices (Watch icon top right of screen). Select the device settings for your uni. Then User settings. You should see a VO2 setting there.

• Sorry, that makes no difference, changed from 47 to 40, but target in the FTP Test is the same :-\