This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

FTP Test by Garmin is totally wrong and not the Standard Protocol?

i am not sure, but i think, the Garmin FTP Test is totally wrong and not like the Standard FTP Test Protocols, or?

in the 20min phase, the Garmin Test change the Target of the Power every 4 minutes higher, the first 4 minutes are arround my actual FTP and then Garmin increases the value, after 8 minutes to a value where it's impossible for me, to hold till to 12 minutes, same after the next step, the target is now so high, more ore less 100 Watt over my actual FTP, it's impossible to hold it so long.

Why all other to the FTP testing different, like Zwift, in Zwift you get the message after 10minutes, you have now a average of e.g.210 Watt, try to increase it, so you cqan hold it for the next 10 minutes?

i know, i do cycling for fun and i am near 50 years old, but is this Testing really right?

• It gives way too high FTP for me when doing a 4-6 min all out efforts. It depends on power duration curve and evryone has strength and lows along this curve...

• I have the same problem. And think my hrv data is too high.  I'll adjust and see if it helps

• i think it is the world record now: (FYI: the highest power value in the FIT file is 623w, so it is not the result of a bad powermeter data): 

• Your Garmin has decided that you are a cycling god!  We should all kneel before your mighty prowess!

Grinning

• Wowwwww! Joy

You can check your weight, it could be an error.... 70,0 kg ---> 0,70 kg?

• it is not my Garmin unit luckily :D , one of my friend´s 1030, the weight is ok (70.9), as You see somehow it thinks that the FTP number is 57kw (but there is no higher power number in the FIT file than 623w so something messed in the algorithm, i checked it with more software, i decompressed the FIT format to readable) , and the watt/kg is so high , but i already have seen such a fake FTP number with 830 too (if i will find it i will post it too, but that was less than this 57kW world record Smile )

• yeah, i found it , it is "just" a 654w FTP ...  a weak rider! (and it was a recovery ride result, the highest 1s is 708w, the 5s is 415w, the 10-20 mins is 170w avg and his max HR was 152bpm, 112avg)  

• is good that is Up, mine fluctuates often , based one hour activity

I dont think that ftp or vo2 max can be changed up or down in days or every week

• There isn't a 'right' - there are many types of tests 8min , 20min/95% , ramp/step test to exhaustion or any permutation of those.  The most common 20min test at a flat consistent power... is not Garmins/FirstBeat method, so be it.   Similar to the auto detect of vo2max, every day will be a bit different considering fatigue, caffeine, excitement, heat, stress... HR is a bit different for the same effort often.

The main goal is to do a similar test method, in similar conditions.  So whatever method you want... do that... then retest every couple months.  easy. 

Couldn't be easier... warmup well a few strong efforts, continue warmup... then hit lap button and ride for 20minutes hard, should feel kind of tough...then tough... then uh-oh...then you are grimacing to save your life... thinking how the heck can I do this for another 3 minutes...  then you 1 minute...  don't sprint or push overhard the last minute or two (consistent strong effort).  If you really undershot the first few minutes hit lap key at 20min but continue pushing power (can use the last 20minutes of steady effort in Garmin graph analysis, cutting off the front minute or three).  Take the best 20min average power from ride and multiply by .95, that is your new FTP, enter that into your User Settings. Done.  Amateurs and Pro's alike have been doing a similar method for years, decades really... it isn't rocket science.  You don't need Garmin to tell you what your max 20min average power (then x.95) you can do is.

If you think you know what your FTP is now, then multiply that by 1.05 to have a starting target for first bit of test, try to increase slowly if possible over the course of test.  

I setup a 'training workout' with the 20min test portion broken into 5x 4min intervals so I am reminded to re-asses as I go and watch 'lap power' as well.  Use the 'find maximum 20 or CustomTime "21 or 22minute" time in the Garmin Connect Graph below in activity details.  Strava you can select the lap or highlight the section you want in the test to see the average.  It will take a couple tests to get the hang of it and get a decently paced result... likely a couple more to get your best result.  

• You are correct. After looking at the Power Level Descriptions on the Garmin Website and my vector 3 software output it looks like the device auto FTP calculations are one level too high. Active recovery should be less than 55% of FTP. My edge 520 calculates zone 1, Active Recovery, as 57-77% of FTP. When you get to Zone 6 in the FTP test it wants you to hold Anaerobic Capacity at 170-230% FTP for 5-6 min, you can only hold Anaerobic Capacity for 30s to 3 minutes in reality. I manually calculate and set my ftp zones.