This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 830 screen affected by rain

Went for my first ride in proper rain since acquiring my Edge 830 and spent a very frustrating ride where the water droplets on the screen either from the rain or dripping from me were affecting the screen. Variously changing the visible screen, it also changed the map zoom but most alarmingly it "pressed" the cancel ride button and I was lucky not to lose the ride. Made for a most frustrating ride having to stop several times to either change the screen or very carefully cancel the "cancel ride" instruction. Anyone else having this issue and especially does anyone have any idea how to stop this from happening? If it is a design fault I think I will be looking to return this to Garmin!

• I think it's just a problem of touch screens. When I used to have my iPhone on the bars it was the same. I lock the screen and use my Di2 buttons to change between them.

• What software build do you have on the 830?

I've done some riding in the rain and did not have any issues. I have noticed that a number of the software updates did also update the touch screen software.

• It's a problem with the product, for sure. My late, lamented, but much loved Edge 810 never had this problem over the 6 years of its service... and a device that is affected by rain that is intended for use... in rain... is really poor design and/or quality control!

• It is the latest update available... but I am about to answer my own question I think, and the solution is perhaps a little of a hack, but i think will be effective and appears quite simple... one second...

• Okay, I think I'm answering my own question after another better, or perhaps luckier, search! Essentially there is a "one key press" screen lock function on the 830. In an activity press the power button and it toggles the screen lock on and off, and thankfully without the need to "do you want to lock the screen". https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge830/EN-GB/GUID-017CF5C8-FF88-494C-B2AD-64F59F51B297.html

• Even better, just discovered that with the screen locked I can still swipe between screens. Excellent!

• Screen lock works great! You can still swipe between screens it just doesn't allow anything else touchscreen related which is nice. I got in the habit of locking the screen almost every ride with the 820 since you could glare at it wrong and end a ride

• This is a problem probably caused by customers who complained about the slower and pressure related response of the Edge 800 and 810 which used a resistive touchscreens. These are slower and probably slightly more power cnsuming than the phone/edge 820/830 capacitive screens. Resistive screens rely on compression which is not casued by rain, whereas capacitive relies on capacitance which is caused by fingers(with water based fluid in them)  and rain but not by non-conductive gloves.

• I have actually found that screen swipe does NOT work reliably with a wet screen.  With the screen locked (or unlocked) I was unable to swipe with a sweaty finger and a moist screen.  At one point my screen somehow got to the missed notifications screen and I was unable to switch it back until I dried off the screen with a paper towel.  

•  Locking the screen because it’s raining or the screen is wet it could be a solution. But, again, this is a proof that Garmin is aware of the bad quality screen and give us stupid solutions that are unacceptable for the product price.