Should I give up on my 830?

I got the 830 and have used it for a couple handfuls of rides. In that time, it has been unreliable. Various things it has done at one point or another (or multiple incidents per ride):

Unable to keep a connection to my sensors (Garmin speed, radar, plus Stages Power) and phone (iPhone XS Max)

'Constantly' losing GPS connection (I have it set to GPS + Galileo).

So, I upgraded the firmware to 3.50, then ...

Device locked up during a ride and I had to 'hard reboot' with the device's keys.

To remedy that I reset the device to factory, then upgraded the firmware to 3.50 and re-paired my devices and phone. That seemed OK for a while, but then during a ride yesterday it rebooted. 

I got the 830 because I wanted the maps that I do not have on my 520, plus the trail forks integration. If it weren't for the Varia integration I probably would have just gone with a Wahoo.

I'm 'torn' because I've been usually pleased with the Garmin devices and they are mostly reliable. Did I just get a 'crap' sample? I can probably exchange it for a replacement but thought I'd see how you guys were getting along with yours. Otherwise I'll return it for a refund and wait until Wahoo can integrate with the radar and move on.

Thanks,

Louis Marchesi

Parents
  • The image with the green line is the absolute best my new 830 can do trying to stay with me on course. As you can see when compared side to side with the red line created by my old 820 last week it's complete garbage. Updated just prior to this ride to the newest beta gps FW but can't see any difference between today's ride and the past few days with the stock FW. It's not even close enough to pick up strava segments. For what it's worth the settings on my 830 are identical to the 820 - every second recording and GPS+Glonass 

• The image with the green line is the absolute best my new 830 can do trying to stay with me on course. As you can see when compared side to side with the red line created by my old 820 last week it's complete garbage. Updated just prior to this ride to the newest beta gps FW but can't see any difference between today's ride and the past few days with the stock FW. It's not even close enough to pick up strava segments. For what it's worth the settings on my 830 are identical to the 820 - every second recording and GPS+Glonass 

Children