This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Trailforks Integration

I have just replaced my old faithful edge 800 for the new 830.

I only do mountain biking and was attracted to the new trailforks features.

So far after about 5 rides I am very frustrated with it. 

First problem is that as soon as you are in a trail network, the only information you can see on the map is the trailforks map, there is no way you can see the normal map unless you go through all the settings and turn off the trailforks map.  Some on here are saying that if you zoom out a little the garmin map appears,  mine doesn't. 

But by far most infuriating thing is that the forksight feature, doesn't just come when you are at the trail head, it comes on every time you stop. It then zooms the map out, so that when you start riding again you have to zoom right in again, and also what must be a bug is the map doesn't track up anymore.

The only way I have found to get it tracking up again, is to swipe off the map screen and then swipe back to it and it resets it's self. But if you stop riding again for any reason, you have to do it all again, this can't be right,  can it?

So far my old 800 is a much more useful navigation device.

Garmin support, are you aware of these issues?

• I see the same issues here.
    After disabling the trailforks map in the MTB profile, I can see the map again.

Software Version 3.5
    Garmin and Trailforks maps in version 2019.10

The Trailforks integration was one of the reasons I bought the 830. Hopefully you will fix it soon or I will have to send it back.

• I tested it again today, it just doesn't work properly.

The forksight feature is just a pain.

Here's what my unit does. As soon as you get into a trailforks trail network and stop, the forksight feature kicks in and shows you the available trails, (All good so far).

But then you move off again and the map does not track up anymore and is zoomed out.

Now ride to another place and stop again and the same trails come up again, even though you are nowhere them them now?

Now you are stuck with this same repeating wrong information popping up on your screen every time you stop. The reason you are stopping is to see what way to go, but then the map zooms out and the orientation changes, so you now are completely confused!

To make matters worse, this same historic trail information will persistently keep popping up even when you are on a different ride in a completely different area, you have to power down the unit and restart to clear it .

This needs to be remedied fast or it will have to go back as it's useless for mtb navigation 

• I’m on a 530 but have the exact same issues. All of them. Awful. 

• Map not tracking up!!!!! I wasn't sure if this was a bug or how the map is supposed to work. I have the map orientation set as "track up" Exactly as you have described it. I have gotten back into mountain biking with my two girls aged 9 and 7. There's lots of stopping. I love the forksight feature, but yes as soon as you start riding it seems the map automatically goes to North is up orientation. It's super hard to look at a tiny screen while mountain biking and try to figure out if your next turn is left or right while it's zoomed out and your arrow is not pointing the direction you are travelling. I know the directions say right, but I found while riding the trails it's easier to use the zoomed in map rather than the directions. I found alot of the time the directions don't update quick enough and it will say "Right on trail 50m" but I've already passed the trail in reality and on the map but the directions meter countdown is slow.

• I've sent this issue to Garmin, they want me to video what happens, I will do this tomorrow. 

• Here are two short videos I sent to Garmin to try and sort this problem out. 

https://we.tl/t-4LGN4EmTHa

https://we.tl/t-MEOQNS7cFU

• Your video looks exactly like mine. 

• I bought one too for MTB and forksight never pops up for me.. Garmin.. you fail again at a software.. going to return mine by the time they make it work a new model will be out and your device will never again get improvement updates

• I'm having the same exact issues as you. Garmin took back my first unit but the second unit is doing the exact same thing. The longer my ride, the more issues I have. It's frustrating that Garmin says they have not seen a pattern with this when obviously there is one. I would be patient and wait for a Firmware update if I knew they could fix it, but I just don't have the confidence that will happen. My 800 works waaaaaaaay better than this. 

• So it looks like the new firmware version is going to fix all these issues. YES! Firmware version 3.55 is in beta right now and you can download it. Several comments indicate that these issue, which they were experiencing, seem to be fixed with the new firmware. So you can download the beta, or wait until they release it for real and hopefully all will be good to go. Keeping fingers crossed as I really do like so much about the 830. They just released it a bit earlier than they should have.