This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Auto Pause not working when following a workout?

Yesterday I created a workout in Garmin Connect and loaded it onto my 830.  While I was following the workout, the Auto Pause would not stop the timer whenever I stopped.  I have Auto Pause set to "when stopped" and it works when I am not following a workout.  

Is the the correct behavior, or is this a bug?  Or is there some other setting to get Auto Pause to work as expected during a workout?

• +1 for wanting auto pause available during workouts, seems like a no-brainer...

• I'm just keeping this alive.  First time trying to do the workouts outside and I needed autopause.  The pause feature for the workout is clunky to get to (go to workout screen, settings then press pause) and you also could hit to move forward by accident, like I did today.

• yes you are right, I see it as well as a major problem. Seems Garmin developpers never use the workouts themselves. My workaround for this is to stop the timer manually (having auto-stp enabled as well) and resume the timer when it needs again. This costs concentration and doing this i risk to mess up the whole lap recording. Though when doing an 1 or 2 hour duration Bike workout. I always get frustrated from these kind of Garmin apps which do not care about the important little details.

• The pause feature for the workout is clunky to get to

I think could be great if they think a smart way to put in pause the workout, anyway pause the workout seams not solve the issue about auto pause. 

Pausing the workout simply avoid the workout count seconds/km to switch to the next lap but it continue to record the avtivity. It is ok just if you need more time to reach the place where start your rep but not for traffic lights :( 

• Yes we understand that the auto pause feature is disabled during workouts. This is a terrible design because every time you stop at a traffic light during a workout you have to manually press the stop button, then start it again. Could Garmin please fix that?

• I'm going to jump in in support of Garmin on this one.

If your workout step is, for example, 10 mins at 300W and you need to stop for a traffic light then you've failed that step. Do your workout on another route where you can have an uninterrupted run.

• While that may be true, if I do my workout such that I can ride uninterrupted (which is obviously preferred), then Autopause working or not becomes completely moot -- it will never come on and is therefore irrelevant.

The fact that Autopause outside of a workout is an option that can be turned on or off is the issue here.  Why does Garmin take that option away when following a workout?  If I want Autopause to not be active, I can turn it off.  If I want it to be active, I can turn it on.  Why should following a workout eliminate that option?  It's stupid.

• Why should following a workout eliminate that option? 

Because the ability to have autopause on allows people to cheat.

If the step is 300W for 10 mins and you do 300W for 5 mins, pause for 30 secs then another 5 mins at 300W you haven't done the workout step which was to hold 300W for 10 mins continuously.

• If I cheat during a workout, who am I cheating?  Myself?  I can still manually pause if I push the stop/start button.  

• Agreed. But those with less willpower, why should Garmin make it easy to cheat?

It's been like this for at least 3 years with this product and probably longer with older Edge family units. Garmin aren't going to change it