This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Edge 830 Frozen/Locked Up v3.50

Bought 830 to replace my 820 and used it for the first time on a charity ride yesterday. 18km into the ride the screen froze completely, backlight on and data screen still showing but frozen. I didn’t notice for a while so lost about 20 mins of data before I figured out I needed to hold power button for a long time to reset.

The 830 was being used for navigation from a course saved and synced by Garmin Connect but it took a few attempts to calculate the route, saying route calculation error the first few times. It failed to re-pair to my HRM and I had to delete and search for that again on the move. Cadence and speed v2 were both ok. 

The 830 was fully updated and running v3.50 firmware. I have a Fenix 5 which I’m now going to have to start using as a backup on every ride but never had the 820 lockup on me. 

Are there any log files that can be sent to Garmin for them to investigate the cause?

A friend riding with me sent me their TCX file so I opened them in a text editor and spliced the missing 20mins in from his data and it’s synced ok with Strava.

• Mine locked up this morning. This is the first time I have had this problem. I am using SW version 5.10

• I had a similar experience again. Seems to get stuck in a loop while shutting down, and drains battery. Some kind of conflict happening with the software. Hope they isolate it soon. 

• Mine paired easily enough, but also had the black screen of death. 

• I found that some third party app's which are using GPS are freezing whole device. In my case app named "Daylight left". It did worked 2 days ago, but after huge Connect issues (IQ store), uninstalling/installing app issues and then device begun to start activities by itself I did factory reset, and now cant use that software at all without bricking whole device.

• The same happened to me today. It took a while for me te realise all the numbers on the screen stayed the same...Device us as good as new.

• My computer with the 5.28 beta firmware never has this problem.  I left my wife's on the original firmware (5.1?), and she just had the problem again today.  It is strange that Garmin has had this fix in beta for months and hasn't pushed it out to production units.  As soon as I figure out how to un-brick her computer I'm going to put the latest beta on it.  They are up to 5.48 - I hope that there are no new bugs!

By the way, the Edge 830 product page links to a page saying there are no downloads available, but if you use a search engine you can find a working download page at Garmin.

• In my case after updating to 5.30 beta firmware I had only 1 freeze at beta 5.34 (even then device reacted to hard reset and continued tracking activity. Seems beta 5.30 fixed huge amount of GPS issues I had in 5.20.

After updating 5.20->5.30+ actually only issues with 830 I had is sensor dc's and automatic activity start while device is idling screen on.

Another issue I have is with Garmin connect sync on iOs. After first use Garmin Express on pc only time Garmin Connect software uploaded activity was after clear pairing to iOs Connect. And again after sync with Express Connect it isn't syncing anymore via Garmin Connect.

• Same issues over here... I experienced this for the first time a couple of months a go. Afterwards it went well for a couple of weeks but now the issue of the frozen screen and unreactive buttons happens almost every ride :-(

Please Garmin, can you comment on how to fix this issue. We paid a lot money for this device so please help us out! 

•  - We are trying to collect data on this very issue. Could you please install the latest Public Beta and follow the instructions there to provide feedback. You can comment on that thread with any additional questions.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-830/228175/new-edge-830-public-beta-5-51-now-available

Locking this thread as it is for an old SW version.