This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes - Edge + watch

Hi all! 

I'm new owner of Edge 830. Before that, I've used my FR935 for bike activities, and every ride increased my Intensity Minutes. Now I'm riding with Edge, without FR935 on my hand. In both cases I always use HR strap. Edge do not increase my Intensity Minutes. What's more - day HR timeline don't shows graph for bike activity. Of course in concrete ride I can see HR graph. On both devices I have Physio TrueUp set on.  Do you have similar behaviour or it's something wrong with my setup? Garmin can't help me... Disappointed

ps. e.g. recovery time from Edge, activity is visible on my FR935.

• Did you checked it with watch no on hand?

• I find this to be .... unfinished product... i believe this is something to do with default activity tracker.!

I did test yesterday, to and from work. Only 30min rides x2. Tracking activity with my 830 and broadcasting HR from my 6x.

this time I didn't use my external HR strap.

So at the end I did get Intensity minutes for both activities

all looks ok but! My HR reading wasn't accurate the watch gives low readings.

And also my Training Status was not accurate, showing Low load and Recovery.

this is my findings for now :) more testing to be done.

• I think it was because you used Fenix... without it no IM is earned.

• yes but also my Fenix is my preferred activity tracker. I think all this will be resolved  if we can change our preferred tracker to the Edge. Unfortunately this option is grayed out  in Garmin app and I cant change this. is there fix for this issue? or I am missing something? the option to change Activity Tracker is grayed out.

• I believe only watch can be used as activity tracker. Not possible for devices like Edge.

• - At this point in time, Edge devices do not have the capability of tracking Intensity Minutes nor can they be changed to your preferred activity tracker. To receive IM credit, you will have to wear your Fenix. I apologize for the inconvenience.

• Please add this feature, at least for those who have both in their account.

I have one question though - as my current plan is to use fenix6 as HR source for EDGE 830, I need to start an activity on the Fenix, or is there another wa of sending to 830? How will the data be recorded if I record "bike" on Fenix and MTB on 830? Will this somehow merge?

Best, Alexander

• I think alot of what they do is underdeveloped besides power metrics and they are probably only mildly developed for the actual Garmin sponsored athletes...

• I recently purchased an Edge 1030, to complement my 945 (and the VA3, before that).

I'm a high-intensity cyclist (not racing anymore, but still do group-training rides), and mostly walk on my days-off, so the Intensity Minutes are the ONLY metric that crosses the activities, I believe?

This all worked great, UNTIL I got the 1030.  Now, unless I want to record two different activities (and remember to start-stop both devices), simultaneously, I can't get a cumulative metric, I feel like I've "downgraded" myself, instead of what I expected.

My 945 does NOT track IM, if I just let it "do it's own thing", as I would've expected; it connects to my HRM strap (along with the 1030, Bluetooth multi-point works fine, as before when I used the 945 and an Ambit3 together, at times), but then it just seems to "ignore" the fact I'm exercising (I did a 1h37m ride last night, 159 HRM average), and I get maybe 15-20 Intensity Minutes, which seems a bit ridiculous?

Am I just not doing something right here, or is the 1030 really a downgrade, of sorts (fortunately I purchased from an Auth-retailer, so I'm still well inside my return-window).

I want the functionality of the 1030, but am not planning on keeping it, if I'm just going to be "chasing my tail" on the whole IM-metrics thing, I might as well just get a low-budget outdoor GPS, and use that on my bars, instead, the 1030 is ridiculously overpriced, if it can't track common-workout-metrics.

I look forward to *SOME* sort of clarification here, and something that convinces me that the 1030 is more than an expensive bar-GPS, thanks.

(Just FYI, I've done s/w and h/w design for 30+ years now, and really this seems like a simple matter of device/activity precedence, a mode that corrects this, but I'm not staring at your full-code-stack, I guess there could be something that complicates this, from an engineering perspective, maybe).

(FYI2, I called support, both the 945 and Edge lines, and they seemed to think this should work, but when the looked at my logs, from my activities, neither team could figure out how to make it "work correctly").

• I think that the issue is correlated with the GPS. I have a Fenix 5X Plus (for running) and an Edge 820 (for cycling). When I use them indoor, of course, no GPS connection, the activities are not counted in the "Minutes activity" graph.
    As far as I see, I think that's not a device issue. In the Garmin vision that's the way for counting effort. :) So, no GPS, no "Intensity minutes"! Slight smile