This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes - Edge + watch

Hi all! 

I'm new owner of Edge 830. Before that, I've used my FR935 for bike activities, and every ride increased my Intensity Minutes. Now I'm riding with Edge, without FR935 on my hand. In both cases I always use HR strap. Edge do not increase my Intensity Minutes. What's more - day HR timeline don't shows graph for bike activity. Of course in concrete ride I can see HR graph. On both devices I have Physio TrueUp set on.  Do you have similar behaviour or it's something wrong with my setup? Garmin can't help me... Disappointed

ps. e.g. recovery time from Edge, activity is visible on my FR935.

• The technical reason is that the Edge does not support Intensity Minutes as I have previously stated. If you want this credit, you need to wear your Garmin Wearable and follow the information outlined in the link below.

Understanding how Intensity Minutes Work

• In order to earn Intensity Minutes credit, you must reach or exceed 10 consecutive minutes where either your step count rate or heart rate is elevated above the threshold that is considered moderate intensity. Performing a more vigorous activity resulting in a high heart rate can double your credit minutes allowing you to meet your weekly goal faster.

You can also earn Intensity Minutes credit  by completing a number of different exercises in order to meet your weekly goal however it is suggested that anything outside of brisk walking or running such as cycling, weightlifting, or various calisthenics be recorded using the activity recording feature on the device. This ensures the heart rate is being monitored consistently and can come in handy if you want to upload your workout and view your results in Garmin Connect.

Swimming activities with or without heart rate are not designed to give Intensity Minute credit.

I copied that directly from the link you provided.  If intensity minutes is calculated base on elevated heart rate how is has this not been implemented on the Edge series of devices. A quick forum search reveals this same intensity minute conversation in every Edge sub thread.

• Please notice that I address two problems. One is IM and second is gap in day HR-timeline (see my image attachment). What about second one? 

• Thank you for your reply-that is helpful.  So just to be clear: if i just wear my Fenix 5X while riding, but record the activity on my Edge 830, the activity will only show up in Garmin Connect once (under the Edge 830 file), yet the Fenix 5X will detect that I'm 'being active' and will record activity points for the duration of my ride (assuming it's over 10 minutes-which they always are...)?  Will the HR recording chart for my daily activity profile show a HR for the whole day then, or will there be a gap during the Edge 830 recording?  If it's filled in, will it use the HR information from the Edge 830, or the optical information from the Fenix 5X?  or will the Fenix 5X be reading from my HR strap, even though I'm not starting an 'activity' on the Fenix 5X?

Sorry for all the questions.  I appreciate your help answering my questions.

Sean

• What do you mean by Watch ON = Tracking an activity?
    If you use your Edge 830 when you ride do you also need to have a simultaneous active tracking on your watch to record intensity minutes or is it enough just to have it on your arm? (not active tracking)

• No. Watch ON is... opposite to watch OFF. Watch OFF is when you hold Light button to turn the device off (press it for 20 sec). ;)

As I said before, my activity was too short to track IM, but I thin if you want record IM you need only wear watch during activity. On Edge you just track activity normally (pressing start activity button on Edge)

• I did a spinning activity Tuesday evening. I used my Edge as a tracker for this 90 minute activity. My Fenix 5X was right beside me on a table, ON, but not active tracking. No Intensity minutes recorded during this 90 minute activity, so no, just having the watch sit beside you is not enough.
    Maybe it needs to track your HR, either by wearing it or if it can be connected to a HRM strap without activity tracking active in some way?!
    It would be nice if someone could explain how you can get this to work.

• I did a spinning activity Tuesday evening. I used my Edge as a tracker for this 90 minute activity. My Fenix 5X was right beside me on a table, ON, but not active tracking. No Intensity minutes recorded during this 90 minute activity, so no, just having the watch sit beside you is not enough.
    Maybe it needs to track your HR, either by wearing it or if it can be connected to a HRM strap without activity tracking active in some way?!

it's exactly what I described here:

Watch ON, but stays at home - no HR entry in timeline - HR from Edge on acvtivity, HR from FR on timeline (means nothing, flat line)
  • Repeat the same activity, but wear the watch instead (still don’t start an activity on the Fenix 5X).  Just wearing it instead of setting it on the table should do the trick, since the watch will detect your HR increase and start crediting you IM.  Let me know if that works.

• Yes, it may detect something when wearing it, but I'd prefer if you could connect the watch to an hrm strap without starting an activity. When you reach higher pulse values I find the watches own reading a bit unreliable.

I'll test tonight and get back with the result of just having it on my wrist.