This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes - Edge + watch

Hi all! 

I'm new owner of Edge 830. Before that, I've used my FR935 for bike activities, and every ride increased my Intensity Minutes. Now I'm riding with Edge, without FR935 on my hand. In both cases I always use HR strap. Edge do not increase my Intensity Minutes. What's more - day HR timeline don't shows graph for bike activity. Of course in concrete ride I can see HR graph. On both devices I have Physio TrueUp set on.  Do you have similar behaviour or it's something wrong with my setup? Garmin can't help me... Disappointed

ps. e.g. recovery time from Edge, activity is visible on my FR935.

• No. It doesn't count IM with any of my 3 Garmin straps. IM is NOT a product of edge bike computers period. But... They have a bug Bug. I managed to register 2 intensity minutes when doing my FTP test on Zwift Rofl. I was pedaling so hard apparently that the algorithm "let me" through Stuck out tongue winking eye. Two minutes plus. WITHOUT watch and without Garmin edge. Just sync from Zwift Rofl.Thumbsup

• Yeah this is what I’m finding. It’s crazy that the data isn’t available through the edge when all the metrics for IM are available. Even the HR data from the edge carries over to Garmin Connect from the edge for the activity. But then when you look at HR data for the whole day, there is gaps where you used the Edge. Should be easy to fix. 

• Although their software team is not the smartest bunch I think that this is not something to "fix". This is done on purpose. Their whole business model is *** and oldskool. Instead of having a user "profile" what they have are devices. Treating user as a main entity in Garmin is an afterthought. You don't buy services. You buy devices and along with them their capabilities. You stop using one device you loose what it was capable of. And those capabilities DON'T mix. Garmin Connect is trying to put everything as one peace but it FAILS. Another horror thing is the Firstbeat integration. Computation was and is done on your device. Because of old licences. So the training effect e.g. and other matrix are synchronized between devices not between a device and the server that holds the computation. Will it change after acquisition of Firstbeat I don't know. They have LOT'S of legacy architecture and code. And not a strong software team by any means. They have bugs in everything starting from watches through bike computers and even their website is bad. If they continue like that another company will take over because integration and cloud is now everything.

• Perfect summary! But for me, as someone said about iPhones - Garmin is a $**** but there is no alternatives ;)

• If you suggest that there is no alternative to iphone you should definitely check again. Android (especially the newest one) is absolutely fantastic. When it comes to Garmin and alternatives. Give the competition 2 years. In some areas the competition already IS better. I think that the problem is that Garmin is a big company. We see watches and other small things. What Garmin probably mainly sees is aquatic equipment. This is an area when the best of them probably go because of greater revenue impact. 

• Sure, it was a little joke from my side ; )

• Sorry. I'm super high on autism spectrum. Jokes are not always my strongest side. But now I get it. Too late as always :D.

• That’s a good summary. Wahoo is fast approaching and almost overtaking. It’s arguably only the high end Garmin products that are better than wahoo anymore. And wahoo is certainly becoming the better value for money option. Garmin need to start fixing these sorts of issues otherwise they will quickly be left behind. 

• Wahoo indoor bike is better if you are serious about training. I live near the mountains and training indoor without a tilt is NOT a good idea. Wahoo simulates +20%,-15%. You cannot ride in the mountains without training with HORRIBLE position that you have when riding 15-20%. Wahoo covers it.

• I guess they have changed something.

I'm using a Fenix 6 Pro and a Edge 830 and starting from around 03/2022 they show me intensity minutes directly in my ride activity. 

So in the next ride, I will leave the watch at home and see whats happening.

Anyone else can confirm?