This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How do I prevent the map from zooming out when stopping (or get it to zoom back to what it was before I stopped)?

When I stop riding and automatic pause stops the recording, the map on my 830 zooms way out.  Then when I resume riding, it stays zoomed out, so I have to TAP-TAP-TAP-TAP the "+" in the corner to get it to zoom back to the level I want it to be.  It is the same with auto zoom on or off.  How do I get the map to stay on the zoom level it was before I stopped, or not zoom out at all?  It is most annoying that it does this.

• You could switch off auto-zoom and manually control the map zoom level.

Under the settings for activity profile you are using select Navigation -> Map -> Auto Zoom

• As I specifically stated in my original question, this makes no difference.  I get the same result when auto-zoom is set to on or off.

• Then it sounds like that activity profile may be corrupt. 

Try creating a new profile and see if works correctly. If it does then I can help with backing up, resetting and restoring your unit.

• Ok, so I created a new profile yesterday, created a new course in Garmin Connect and navigated it on my 830.  This was with a Road profile.  Here's what happens:

With Autozoom on:  When stopping, the autopause activates and map zooms way out to the point that it shows half the state of Pennsylvania and the entire state of New Jersey.  (I find this strange and not at all useful as I would never need to zoom that far out.)  When I resume riding, autopause deactivates and the map zooms in to a level where it shows both my current location and the next turn.  So that could be scaled to 1.3mi for example.  As I approach my next turn, it zooms in in steps until I reach the turn.  When I come out of the turn, it stays at the 300 ft. level (i.e. it does NOT zoom back out enough to show the next turn).  If I stop again, it zooms back out to the 30mi level, and then when I restart it will zoom to a level that includes the next turn.  When I come out of that turn, it again stays at the 300ft. zoom level.

With Autozoom off: When stopping, the autopause activates and map zooms way out (to the same level as with autozoom on).  When I resume riding, it stays at the zoomed-out 30mi zoom level.  I have to manually zoom in by tapping the screen.  If I stop again, it will zoom way back out and stay that way when I resume.  Every time I stop and resume, I need to manually zoom to get back to the level it was before I stopped.

Is this how the zoom function is supposed to behave?  (The owner's manual frustratingly lacks any detail about how to use the map zoom.)  Is there a way to get the map to return to the zoom level I was before I stopped?  Or not zoom out at all when autopause activates?  I'm not so much concerned about autozooming so I can see a turn in the distance, but when mountain biking in particular, I like to leave it relatively zoomed-in (either at 800ft or 500ft level).

• Could you post the activity profile you are using? It will be in the Garmin\Sports folder.

Also the course file if you were using a course and the associated activity file.

• I keep trying to post the files, but keep getting an error:

An error occurred. Please try again or contact your administrator.

Is there another way to get the files to you?  I've got them saved to my desktop.

• You could try posting them to a file sharing site such as dropbox and then post a link here.

• Thanks. I will take a look.

• I have the same issue. It’s my biggest pet peeve with this device. Any ideas yet?