This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor gps recept edge 830

My edge 830 Has the badest gps reception I have ever had in a Garmin system. When I'm in the forest and measuring twice with my fr920xt and the 830 the edge shows half the segments in Strava then the 4 year old forerunner. All Garmin's have the actual fw and GPS and glonass is configured with 1 s data interval

• Just emailed Garmin support about this. I've never seen as a bad a problem on an Edge unit before... 

• Check that your EPO data is current. If it is out of date that could cause issues.

System -> About -> Copyright Info

Look for the EPO inf0. It should show "Current"

Also what does the GPS Version show? You should be on 2.42.

• The Edge 830 is my first Garmin device (after the ancient yellow eTrex) and I'm experiencing the same effects as you and the others describe here especially when comparing to my aging Suunto Ambit 2 that is to be replaced by the Edge.

I'm using software version 3.41, GPS version 2.42, TSC version 0.24.00 and the EPO is current.

Under free sky the unit appears to be spot on most of the time but as soon as I bike through a forrest and foliage comes into play my position is often offset by a couple of dozen meters, corners are cut short and often I got a feeling that my position on the map lags behind my position in the real world. Even at more obvious of such events the navigation accuracy data field shows "3m".

I embedded pictures of the same paths I biked. The recordings of the Ambit 2 are more or less spot on and agree with the underlaying map, the recordings of the Edge 830 cut corners short and show an offset when compared to the map. The recordings are not from the same ride but some time apart. I used GPS+GLONASS (1s interval on recording) on the Edge while the Ambit 2 only supports GPS.

Ambit 2 - position #1 - spot on:

Ambit 2 - position #1

Edge 830 - position #1 - corners cut short:

Edge 830 - position #1

Ambit 2- position #2 - spot on:

Ambit 2 - position #2

Edge 830 - position #2 - corner cut short, track offset:

Edge 830 - position #2

Those were the first screenshots I could find that I hope illustrate the problem. There were worse situations though were the offset of position was a real problem when navigating.

On more thing I observed is that when the position if clearly offset when biking under foliage and I come along a clearing the position is not jumping back to the track but appears to slowly (while covering some distance, not time) drift to the right position on the track. Hence my experience of the position sometimes "lagging" behind.

I hope this is something that can be fixed by a software update. One more thing I will try is using just GPS without GLONASS/GALILEO (I observed the same effects as above with GPS+GALILEO btw).

Any ideas?

• EPO is current. GPS is up to date. I did a factory reset and updated to the latest software again. Same issues. 

I ended up contacting Garmin- now in process of getting the unit swapped out through the retailer.

• I have exactly the same problem
  • With GPS only I have similar tracks, however adding GLONASS improves the situation. For ROAD I only use GPS, for MTB GPS+GLONASS and tracks are ok. Still Garmin could improve things in GPS only mode

• I am experiencing the same with my device :-\

• how do you update the GPS version as mine is still showing 2.30 even though I have updated to software version 4.10

• Since 2 days i 've mine edge 830, the same problem... no gps at the start and half way gp/glosnass reception is gone and not coming back... (firmware 5.50 may 2020)