This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor gps recept edge 830

My edge 830 Has the badest gps reception I have ever had in a Garmin system. When I'm in the forest and measuring twice with my fr920xt and the 830 the edge shows half the segments in Strava then the 4 year old forerunner. All Garmin's have the actual fw and GPS and glonass is configured with 1 s data interval

• Same problem. Been using a bad 830 for a year. Always been mocked by my friends using wahoo coz my strava always looks terrible compared to their routes which are smooth without missing sections. 

• I'v got a replacement now and this works very good!

• Try only using GPS without any other. This solved many problems for me. Instead of getting more precision with additional satellites the Garmin starts to need up things.

• We are at least 3 friends with edge 830 experiencing also GPS problems. When I'm in the forest the 830 the experience big jumps in the speed measurement, it seems to lost the GPS signal. Software version 6

• We are at least 3 friends with edge 830 experiencing also GPS problems. When I'm in the forest the 830 the experience big jumps in the speed measurement, it seems to lost the GPS signal. Software version 6

• "When I'm in the forest" is the key phrase here...

• A wheel sensor should improve short-term distance and speed measurements, especially in situations with poor GPS reception.  That's basically why Garmin wheel sensors and the capability to use them exists.

• Had mine about a month, was okay at first but the last week its struggled to find the course when I've set off. Altered the settings yesterday to GPS only and it's a lot better. 4.5 hrs riding and never missed a turn. 

• Is there some reason that the number of segments is important? I had endless problems with my 830 until I changed from the version 1 speed and cadence sensors to the version 2, 2/3rds of my problems disappeared. I then noticed that after the 830 updated its firmware that it would screw up. So I began manually resetting the firmware from the interface and all of the rest of the problems disappeared. I have the idea that SOME of the Garmin 830's so not restart properly after an update. This may be because of a change in the PC board. And manually resetting it means you have to set up your screens all over again. But given these limitations the 830 works perfectly now. I suspect that many people buy the entire new package with the new sensors all at once and with the newer hardware have plug and play and are perfectly satisfied.