This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

830 will not turn on

I had a strange problem today.  I charged the unit using a charger (not the computer) and the 830 powered off as expected when full charge was reached.  However, when I went to do a ride, I could not turn it on.  Tried the power button many times, also held it >10 seconds to try for a reset.  Nothing worked.  I then used the USB cable to plug it into the computer.  that powered it up and after that, could power up and down with the power button.  I looked for an error log file after my ride, but could not find one.  Any ideas?  I will have to do some testing to see if this repeats.  Note I am running the beta firmware.

• I have been running the latest beta FW, ver 5.34, for a few weeks now.  While this issue is not listed in the change log, I don't recall experiencing any problems since installing it.  I have kept WiFi enabled, and always fully power off before putting the device on the charger.  Not saying it is the fix, but it may be worth a try.

• I had the problem and Garmin support told me to hold the on but FOR ONE MINUTE.  That worked!  And, it's worked several times after.

My biggest problem with the 830 is that it's always turning on!  Big Brother Garmin seems to think  that connecting/disconnecting/touching/slight moving ALL mean turn on!  Ugh.  

Good luck!

• It doesn’t even have to move.  I leave mine charging on my pc overnight and I’ve had a software update installed on the pc causing a reboot.   I found that the 830 woke up when the pc rebooted and thought it was starting a ride.  I guess the gps signal in my office was flaky or something causing it to detect motion.   Not really a big deal, just sort of silly.  I would have expected it to go back in charging mode when it saw it was connected to the pc. 

• I had a proble with 5.10 that the device doesn't switch really off (backlight was off but I saw the power off symbol) After update to beta it looks like that solves my problem. Now the device went off like it should do

• Having this exact problem. v5.10

Very frustrating when group wants to start ride and I can't get my stupid 830 to power on. Seems to always happen when device is fully charged. Sometimes the reset works but other times it sort of comes on (the screen looks active but nothing is displayed). Sometimes it take a handful of resets to get the device to activate. I don't miss my Wahoo but at least it always powered on.

• Agreed.  I have to sometimes hold the power button for about a minute before it really comes on and stays on.  If you look at just the titles of posts in this forum, it's obvious that they have a development team with serious problems.  This is a device that should have reliability as a top priority and that's it's biggest failing.  After that, you can see the whole list of user interface design problems.  Heavens, I was riding yesterday and decided to use the map page so that I wouldn't watch my power numbers.  And, to my unpleasant surprise, the title across the top of the screen says "Riding on Dry Creek Rd."  Why in the world do they waste real estate on a small screen to say "Riding on"!!!  First, it's a cycling computer and we both know I'm riding!!!  Second, it forced EVERY road to take up two big lines at the top, blocking the upper part of the map.  ugh.

Go to DCRainmaker and consider another company's product.  There are better ones out there.  I wish that wasn't the case as I have and have had many Garmin products, but right now, they're failing us. 

• We believe this was resolved in our latest public Beta (5.44). You can find the information on how to get the Beta in the link below.

Edge 830 Beta: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14955

• FIXED! Since updating to 5.34 I've had no issues. Device has been working perfectly. A+ 

• Sorry but it is not fixed - hat the issue now again.

• Have just updated to v5.44 as suggested and really hope that it will fix the lockup issue as I always been a Garmin fan and has been using many generations of Garmin Edge and Fenix Watches. Although I was tempted to switched to Wahoo Element Bolt from my Edge 820 at the time but was loyal to Garmin and had decided to stick with you and got the Garmin Edge 830 instead (6 months agao....); but this passed experiences of the device kept locking up is really testing my loyalty. I really hope that your team will get the act together in fixing this issue along with many of my athletic friends who has nightmare with their Fenix 6's. I am really curious and concern what Garmin as a company is up to? Hate to see such great company reputation going down the drain from the last few releases of the sporting products.