This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sensor Dropout Feedback

We realize how important sensor data is to our customers and how frustrating it can be when there are issues with it. If you are experiencing these issues with sensor drop outs the engineering team would like to understand the following information to help understand the issue.

1. What version of Edge 530/830 software are you using?
  2. How long into your ride did the issue occur?
  3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?
  4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?
  5. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred?
    1. What sensors were connected over BLE?
  1. Did you have your phone connected?
    1. Is it Android or iOS?
    2. What version of GCM do you have?
    3. Were you using LiveTrack?
  2. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.
  • Edge 830

1) 3.20

2) About an hour and twenty minutes into the ride

3) All sensors stopped reporting data (Power and HR)

4) No. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting. Nothing helped. Had to hard reset the device.

5) Wahoo Tickr (BLE) and Easton Cinch (Ant+)

6) Maybe? My phone retaining connection seems to be akin to flipping a coin. If it was, then iOS. GCM version 4.19.1.1. Not using LiveTrack. Using a structured workout synced via TrainingPeaks.

File: Workout with drop

• Additional Info:

- I checked and the Stages Powermeter was using BLE instead of ANT+.  As a side note, I did notice at the beginning of the ride that running the "Calibrate" command showed a "0" offset which cannot possibly be correct.  I recently switched from BLE to ANT+ and then ran calibrate and it gave a true number in line with what was expected.

- The HR and Speed sensor were using ANT+

- When the dropout occurred, all connected devices dropped at the same time.

- At the end of the ride, the Garmin froze immediately when pressing the Stop button.  I had to hold to power button for 10 or so seconds to force shutdown the unit.  When I started it back up, it allowed me to Save the ride.

1. 830/3.2
    2. about 15 minutes in for the first time, paused the ride/turned it off and on again and it was fine for the next 2 hours or so,then power/cadence stalled at the last value at 2:20 into the ride. I saw the HRM failing as well a bit before 2:20 but I thought the strap was possitioned badly, and it reconnected pretty fast. 
    3. all sensors failed (garmin hr, speed, favero assioma left side power/cadence), also the power/cadence stalled at 150w at 2:20 into the ride, turning off and on solved that one as well
    4. No, had to pause the ride and turn the device off and on again
    5. Garmin hr, speed (ant+), favero assioma left side power/cadence (ble)
    6. Yes, iPhone XS, whatever connect app is the latest one at the time of posting this(4.19.1), no livetrack (but incident detection on)
    7. connect.garmin.com/.../3729640639
    1. Edge 830 3.20
    2. 40mins 41 seconds in
    3. All (power, Heartrate, Trainer, speed, cadence)
    4. No. The unit froze and I had to hard reboot
      Tacx Neo: Power, Speed, Cadence
      HR: Wahoo Tickr
      1. iOs
      2. 4.19
      3. No Livetrack (stuck in garage on a rainy day)
    2. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3731930741
    2. How long into your ride did the issue occur?
    3. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?
    4. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?
      1. Is it Android or iOS?
      2. What version of GCM do you have?
      3. Were you using LiveTrack?
    2. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible.
    1. Edge 830, Software 3.20
    2. About 53 min and again 1h37 after start (can easily retrieved from fit file)
    3. Just power meter (SRM)
    4. Yes, reconnected within seconds
    5. Sensors, all connected over ANT+ (can easily retrieved from fit file)
      1. HRM Tri
      2. Garmin Speed sensor
      3. SRM power meter
      4. Varia Radar RTL511
    6. Yes
      1. iOS, V12.3.1
      2. GCM 4.19.1
      3. Yes, LiveTrack was active
    7. See file attached

3737951039.zip

v3.20

1. How long into your ride did the issue occur?

49 miles, then again at 90 miles, again at 160 miles. It was a nightmare. At one point I tried to delete and reinstall sensors, and instead the screen just locked up for an hour....

1. Did all of your sensors dropout at once or was it just one?

Garmin dual HR, Powermeter (Powertap G3) both dropped at the same time at the first outage, only the dual HRM disappeared on the other outages.

1. Did the sensor connection(s) recover on their own?

No. I wish they did. I had to hard reboot. (the screen locked on one and I couldn't even power off without holding the power button and the bottom two buttons. Later I could get the HRM to reconnect by disabling then reenabling the sensor a couple of time.

1. What sensors did you have connected with the issue occurred?

Dual HRM and Powertap G3 -- both connected via Ant+

1. Did you have your phone connected? Yes.
    2. Is it Android or iOS? IOS
      1. What version of GCM do you have? -- 4.19.11
      1. Were you using LiveTrack? NOOOOOOO!!!! Live tracks almost never works, I ignore it.
    3. Please upload activity .FIT files from this occurred if possible. -- I can't do that now but I'll try later.
  • The beta (3.33) added improvements to Sensor connection. See the instructions and the full change logs for this beta here.

• I've posted a question on another thread but this thread is more appropriate for this question.  I have not had a single sensor drop since I got my 830, and I have many sensors connected while I ride.  However I never ride with a phone as I wear an Apple Watch.  So I'm wondering if those people who experience sensor drops are carrying a phone, while those who don't are not seeing the same issue?  Just thought I share this bit of info. here.

• yes I had phone and live tracking when I lost sensors.

• Thanks.  This also might explain why I have a different issue that others are not seeing.  Upon finishing a ride, with my phone in the garage and within BT range to the 830, the 830 could never find/connect to the phone.  This is probably because my 830 never had a phone connection during the ride.  But my 520 doesn't have the same issue so I'm sure this is a bug in the 830.