This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Adding Europe maps to my Edge 530. Garmin Express says not enough room

I have an Australian Edge. I have 13gb free. Downloaded Garmin EU maps. Garmin Express keeps telling me I don't have enough room.

How can I make this work? plenty of room on my Mac and plenty on the Garmin 

Do I have to take the AU maps off?

Top Replies

All Replies

• You can move the AU maps off the unit with your computer's file browser and copy them back after the EU maps have been installed if there is space.

• Thanks for replying mate. So I have no tried that. Actually I rang Garmin and they said I can delete them and then it’ll download them again when I get back to AU. 
    so I know this goes off thread but is it usual that using Garmin express connected via the USB that came with the device, it’s transferring at like 2mb/s and going to take 4hrs? 
    also it’s stalled twice and I’ve had to start again. 
    anyone had this issue. 

• My 830 has always transferred maps a lot faster than that.  Is that the estimated time including the downloading of the maps?  When I update maps the estimated time includes the download and the transfer to the unit..Dodgy cable?  Bad USB port on your computer?

If you are travelling to a new location you can get free maps from https://extract.bbbike.org/ (use the latin1 formats for Garmin).  There you can download just the area you need not the whole continent which is a lot faster.

• Thanks mate. It finally worked on the third attempt. I’m using a Mac so have to use the USB adaptor. From A to C. 
    I bought the Garmin maps $35 AU because I thought it would be easier. Turns out I was wrong. 
    You’re right I should have used the free maps. Haha live an learn. 
    cheers for your replies. 

• Where is the baseline map stored?  I want to swap my EU map for AU map

• The map files are in the Garmin folder on the unit.  They are .img files.

• In order to make room for purchased AU maps you must follow the instructions in this link.

• Same issue here - I need the EU map on a US-purchased device. I have deleted all the files as advised in the link re "making room," but still Garmin Express tells me there' s not room on the device (Edge 530). The computer shows the device has 10.9 GB space available. The map update requires 9 GB. WTH?

• UPDATE - I moved one of the do-not-delete files (gmapdem.img) to a flash drive to see if this would allow installation of the EU maps, thinking I could then move it back. Now that EU maps are installed on the device, I see that they have consumed 11.2 GB of space. There is no room to move that file(3.6 GB)  back. The EU maps take up significantly more real estate than the "9.04 GB" of space required as described by Garmin on their site. I would not have purchased the EU map file if I had known that there is no way that the map will fit on the Edge 530 after originally-installed US map files are removed. Why is Garmin listing the Garmin Edge 530 as a compatible device for this map when it will not fit?

•  We revised the FAQ Eiliko linked above to one that is specifically for Edges. Here, we recommend to delete all .img, .unl, .gma files except for gmapbmap.img. After doing this, there should be enough space to download and install the new cycling map.