This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GARMIN NAVIGATION SUCKS

Navigation Sucks BIG TIME!
I was riding a course yesterday. There was some road works ongoing on the planned route with really quick detour (I do know about it for a week, so no problem). 
After one kilometer I was back on the planned route and the GARMIN "NAVIGATION" was annoyingly showing MAKE A U TURN-- maybe for two minutes of riding on the planned route in right direction. Oh my gosh, really?  
And then even it pointed me in the wrong direction and started to showing Finish line flag with meters count down. LOL. I was for the first time in that location, so I just had to stop, open Garmin Connect app, look at the planned course( where you don´t see your location! 2nd LOL) so I had to open another map app to check where am I exactly and compare that with the course. Impossible just came true. I bought Edge 530 to get rid of the phone while riding. I bought Fenix 6  for that reason at first, but it was small and looking at it while riding was not convenient.
Rerouting is setup to minimize distance. It is not minimizing distance at all because of rerouting in nonsense ways.

What about your experience, is it the same, or (and) you´re ok with how it is working? 
Is it possible that some additional maps in device is causing this stupid errors in navigation? 
I´m about to find out. 
My guess is, there is no solution. The best solution would be put phone small as possible on the bars instead. There the navigation is much responsive and "smart":)
Did you try Komoot, somebody? Is it somehow better when you use it in garmin? 

Thx ya all

• I have the same experience.  I think Garmin wants to send you to the waypoint you missed or to the nearest waypoint.  What I do is when I'm back on track stop the course and then restart it.  Don't choose navigate to start.

• Oh yeah, I also use Komoot.  The routes from Komoot are synced to my 530.  Navigation is also done by the 530.  So the same experience/issue in combination with Komoot.

• Turn off route recalculation with any Garmin Edge mapping unit apart from the 1030+ (and probably any units released after that).  It does not work as you think it should.  You have found this out.  You just have to get yourself back on the route and then it will pick it up and carry on navigating you around it.

If you have recalculation turned on it will create a new route to your original end point.  This is highly unlikely to be what you had originally planned.

The 1030+ has improved re routing and can navigate you back to your original route and then carry on with the original route.

• Is it somehow better when you use it in garmin? 

There is no special magic in the route planner. They all produce very similar files. 

• I don't really care about navigating over exact same route which was planned before, but it should never point in the wrong direction, which it does. Recalculation is a part of navigating. If I miss a turn it should recalculate route to get me to the end point. Dont care about longer distance or time, as I ride the bike to catch more kilometers. But again it should never point in opposite direction as the endpoint is. When I'm riding in unknown places it is quite problem. 

Do you think Wahoo's could be better?

• Did you try Wahoo navi or have some friends using it?

• If you use the recalculation option you will be directed to your original end point. It just won't be the route you planned. 

• It would be fine, but Garmin is not working that way, it has issues as I described in first post.

• You just have to get yourself back on the route and then it will pick it up and carry on navigating you around it.

No, it didn't pick it up. Unless picking up is matter of minutes and kilometers riding on the planned route.

•  
    Mr Cristox, the problem is, you probably didn't read very well what I wrote.
    You seems to be the one of who programmed this silly navi, so it's natural for you to protect it whenever
     you read some complaints.
    Thanks to all people in this thread for their thoughts, btw.