This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 FW 9.40 - sensors/connectivity issues

Recently, I'm facing issues with sensors connected with Garmin Edge 530, this started to happen after upgrading to 9.40 FW, haven't noticed the issues with the previous FW. 

Issue #1 HR Strap is being disconnected during the ride, it's not possible to connect it back during the activity:  

HR strap is Garmin HRM Run - new battery inside 

Issue #2 Bontrager lights are being disconnected during the ride, it's not possible to connect to back unless the device is being reset. 

Issue #3 Bontrager lights wrong battery indicator, I believe this is an old issue but still reporting it here as a sensor issue (https://forums.garmin.com/developer/connect-iq/f/discussion/242959/bontrager-flare-rt-battery-bug/1391573#1391573

@ - are these known issues and if yes when are they going to be fixed? 

• I've had an issue with some of my sensors as well.  I'm using the CORE BODY TEMP CIQ app and the 530 will not connect to it on some occasions.  It requires a hard reset of the 530.  My 945 picks it up without issue, though.

•  - Isn't this the very annoying sensor dropout issue that has been known and discussed on this forum since around June last year ?

• I'm not entirely sure if that's the same issue. In my case connection issues started to happen in the last few weeks. I tend to keep my Garmin Fw always up to date and it's already 1,5y old. Maybe Garmin devices are just feeling old at some point ... 

• Add LiveTrack dropping-out to the issues...  LiveTrack has only been working about 50% of the time for me.  The LiveTrack email says "No signal, trying to reconnect..."  It never does.  So I don't know if it's because I'm in the woods and phone isn't getting WiFi (shouldn't matter, great cell signal there), or if it's Bluetooth from 530 to phone dropping.  Disappointing.  I'll try turning WiFi off on the phone next time and see if result changes, but it never mattered with my Edge 130.

• I just installed 9.4 today, and headed out for a ride.
    Almost all sensors will not connect, or they connect briefly then disconnect. Very frustrating, Edge 530 almost worthless at this time. 
    HRM, Bontrager lights, Varia Radar, cadence and speed sensors, SRAM XX1 rear derailleur, SRAM Spider PowerMeter. 
    pretty much everything. 

we need a fix for this immediately Please #Garmin

• I have contacted #Garmin support regarding the connection issues. I have described the issue and what I did to try to solve them ( factory reset, re-pairing etc). Also, provided a link to the Garmin forum posts.

#Garmin IT support reply - please unpair and pair the sensor again.Curtain.

#Garmin - is it all that you can do with this?

btw, one easy way to reproduce the pairing issue is to put the Edge into sleep mode. After wake-up, most of the sensors cannot reconnect. 

• Constant power drops here as well. Tried new battery, repairing, etc

• My Edge 530 drops all connected devices (Stages power crank, Garmin Speed sensor, Garmin front light and RTL515, and an HR strap) starting around the one-hour mark in a ride.  In most cases, all would re-connect within a minute or so. 

However, most recently, the HR strap (A Polar strap) would not reconnect automatically.  When this happened, I removed and re-paired the strap, all while riding (fun, fun, fun).  This worked but NOT at all pleasant.  Looks like a new wrinkle to an overall very frustrating bug.

This issue was introduced a few firmware releases ago and is still not acknowledged or solved by Garmin.  My fear is that the Edge 540 (or whatever) is on the horizon so the 530 is being ignored.

• Perhaps, if they introduce a new firmware that dramatically reduces the battery life of the 530 then we will know the Edge 540 is on its way.
    The Edge 540 will be released with very buggy beta firmware making it not even as useful as the 530. But seeing as they have already broken the 530 people will buy the 540 anyway.
    About a year after release the 540 will actually work well, for a year or so and the cycle will continue. 

• Not sure how these things normally work, but surely the FW on the 540 would be updated FW of the 530? Or do they start from scratch each time? I would never buy a newly released head unit (any brand) because you are paying top price to become a beta tester for 6 months.