This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What's wrong with Garmin? how to make 'High Aerobic' load?

What's wrong with Edge 530 and Fenix 6 pro  (with Garmin software, coz i guess all work is unloaded from servers to devices?)  how to make 'high aerobic' activity ?

(my HRmax=204, and i usually run between 70-90%, and bike between 65-90%)

so why Garmin says:

when i do a lot of excercises and my biking and running is usually in 70-90% range.

example biking from last week:

and running:

• Is it true that the analysis classifies an activity all as one category (low, high or an) ? Has that been verified ? 

If true that's a massive over simplification within an otherwise detailed and sophisticated process. I'm struggling to believe it (not saying you folks are lying).

GC tells me i have a low aerobic shortage and has done ever since i started using power last summer. I will often throw in 20 mins of easy spins at the end of a 30-40 min interval set (or throw in a light cruise on an outdoor ride), but it sounds like it would be a different analysis compared with stopping and starting a new activity - which can't be correct as its the same exercise !!

This sounds totally crazy to me.

Does it also feed into the training status metric ?

MB

• I once had a low aerobic shortage when I was doing low aerobic workouts on my turbo trainer.  The HR zones on my Edge were set incorrectly causing this.  The lower boundaries of HR zone 1 & 2 were too high (They were the whatever the Edge set as its default).  I set my zones to sensible numbers and the issue resolved itself as more rides were performed with correct zone boundaries.

Check your power & HR zones are set at suitable numbers.  The default Garmin boundaries are not necessarily right for you.  In my experience they are wrong.  I use the British Cycling zones which match up with several other zone calculators out there.

• Thanks . it sounds logical, but i've already set my HR and power zones using an FTP test followed by the BC calculator. Well give or take as BC doesn't seem to have the same % applied to the max HR as Garmin, but not much difference. For me the possibility that an activity can only be classed into one category, if true, is a more likely cause, as my low aerobic activities are often mixed in with other intensities in a single ride.

MB

• Ok I asked the Garmin support about this and this is there reply:

"Der Trainingsbelastungsfokus richtet sich nach der Herzfrequenz. Anaerob ist der individuell (berechnete) Bereich über der Laktatschwelle und "hoch aerob" der Bereich in welchem Ihre Herzfrequenz über 75% der maximalen Herzfrequenz ist. "

Translated it means the focus is regarding heart frequency - I asked if it is using power or heart data.

Then the anaerobic is the area above your lactate threshold

high aerobic is 75% of your max heart frequency - that sounds pretty low to me actually...

• This is the same thing that happened to me. Once I realized the heart rate zones were set incorrectly because of an inaccurate resting heart rate and max heart rate, all the results of the load focus changed. I also changed the HR zone method to percent of heart rate reserve.

• How did you determine resting and max?

• rest is from my mornings (from garmin), you can clearly see when i had some beers:)

Max is from my few running sprints (202-204bpm few times)

and from bike on a trainer (203bpm hit few times).

However on a bike, outside, 192bpm is my max,   once 195bpm - but this was 'thanks' to high temperature.

• Hi Timbolot. I have the same issue. I can do high aerobic on treadmill easily, but no way on my bike. I tried everything. Did you find out how to make garmin notice you are in high aerobic zone?:). Thx

• Exactly! When i run on treadmill, anytime i got to 3-4 zone , Garmin is counting it in high aerobic bar. Otherwise on bike it wont notice never ever a bit.