This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What's wrong with Garmin? how to make 'High Aerobic' load?

What's wrong with Edge 530 and Fenix 6 pro  (with Garmin software, coz i guess all work is unloaded from servers to devices?)  how to make 'high aerobic' activity ?

(my HRmax=204, and i usually run between 70-90%, and bike between 65-90%)

so why Garmin says:

when i do a lot of excercises and my biking and running is usually in 70-90% range.

example biking from last week:

and running:

• Here is one of mine high aeorobic training. 

• Make sure your zones are set sensibly.  The default zones the Garmin calculates for itself may well not be suitable.

• so what is a 'correct setting' then? not 50,60,70,80,90-100% ?

• and ZERO anaerobic?? that's strange.   why i have a lot of anaerobic, but 0 high aero ....

i'll try more stay more in 80-90% during a training then.

maybe the problem is when i ride my bike, i do 4-6h big ride. and i have hard climbs at 90%, but most of the time is dominated by a bit lower intensity (it's not a training), when i stop to eat something, change clothes etc.

• There are several ways to set your HR zones.  I use the British Cycling method which gives zones that are very different the initial Garmin created ones and gives me much more sensible results in the Garmin analysis results.

I think basing zones on max heart rate isn't great either as it is very hard and unpleasant to find out your max HR.  There are easier ways of zone setting.

• sure, i understand, but also by changing zones in a way that garmin doesn't understand them, can give you different/strange? results (from garmin site). i did few runs and trainer rides+sprints i achieved 202-204bpm (maybe i could get 1-2bpm more. maybe not, i'm 41y old). also i dont have power meter.

looks like i need to jump onto my trainer again :/

these values (from lockdown period - last April) are impossible just during a 'normal' ride.

(best 20min HR = 89%, best 60min=84% (these are the best, but i did only 4-5 hard trainings like that last year) )

• The Garmin has a couple of different ways to set zones built in already.  Using max HR, using LTHR, & using heart rate reserve and they will give different results..  You can do it manually if you want to as well. Or you can modify the percentages of the built in methods.

It doesn't really matter what way you do it as long as you get sensible zones for yourself. So far you aren't seeing sensible ones so you need to change them.  Different numbers suit different people.  HR is a highly personal thing so what may suit someone else may not suit you.  The default built in method is not suitable for everyone.

Just try a different zone calculation method and enter those zones in your devices.  Use them for a few weeks to let the new zones fully influence any metrics.  If you are now happy keep those zones.  If you aren't change them.

• As it was metioned in other thread, the problem is:

it looks like all points from an activity only get awarded into one of the load buckets and not spread across low/high/VO2.

so even after intense riding

activity was classified as 'base' and all TrainingPoints assigned to 'low aerobic', because dominant time was in Z1 and Z2 ...

i guess if i strip my riding from 'warmup' and 'cooldown' (like riding thru a city to get to mountains), it'd be classified differently.

• it's not about zones, but about:
    it looks like all points from an activity only get awarded into one of the load buckets and not spread across low/high/VO2.

so if my activity is dominated by Z1 and Z2, because before i get to proper hills, i need to leave my city (or return later), i have at least 1-1.5h of lower intensity, which 'spoils' high intensity riding....

• so your zones are based on LTHR ?