This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issues pairing Bontrager ION PRO RT and Flare RT to new Garmin 530

I can't seem to get either of my two new lights to create a stable light network with my new 530. One or both are constantly getting disconnected from the light network. I've tried removing them and adding them individually and both at the same time with no success. My 530 software is also up to date. Further, if a light is identified on the network it sometimes has the name other rather than tail light or head light.

• Same issue: got the taillight to pair but the Garmin is hanging (with a spinning progress wheel) at the "Add Sensor->Light 41342" screen.

• I'm using the same setup without any issues.

• If you have advice about challenges you overcame to make this work, that would be more helpful that just saying that you are not having the problem that OP and I are.

I already know that many--maybe most--have gotten the setup to work. That's the whole reason I bought the lights in the first place.

• I'm so sorry about that, you're right. Did you reset the device or at least removed all the sensors and add one by one? I think this happened to me once with the headlight. I had to press back button to cancel the connection, remove the light created as an "other" sensor type and then readd by turning on the light.

• I have also been having problems.

I had a stable setup with these lights.

I have since added Garmin heart rate monitor & cadence sensors.

Seemed to work fine for a while.

Recently, and repeatedly now, either or both of my lamps (Ion Pro RT & Flare RT) will drop out (usually my headlamp). I can't even use it manually with the Garmin on, because (even if disconnected) it will try to reconnect it and then turn it off. I can only reliably use my headlamp by completely turning the Garmin off. 

• Similar problems.  I had everything working on a 520 plus, but the 520 was constantly sending false incident detections so I returned the device and upgraded to the 530 (the sales person suggested that the 530 was a superior device and that false detections with the 520's were not uncommon).  I set up the new 530 with a Ion Pro RT and Flare RT.  On initial set up both devices were recognized as a headlight and tail light and my setting were light network "enabled", light mode "auto", light beam activated  "timer start" and both lights "enabled",  My first ride was today and initially only the taillight turned on (even though the 530 could see both devices).  Part way through my ride I started to get "light network errors" for the tail light and eventually I opted to disable the light network and control the devices manually as I couldn't relay on the 530 to manage the devices.  Once I got home I deleted both devices, power cycled the Garmin and reloaded the lights.  Eventually the lights were recognized but now the front light is identified as "Other".  I suspect that my next steps are; delete the lights again! factory reset both lights and then reload the devices.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Is this a Garmin 530 problem or is common problem with all of the Edge devices?

• Im having the same issues and more.  No battery status, unable to connect, sometimes the garmin prevents the light from automatically detecting ambient light to shine properly.

Now the 530 wont recognize the flare at all.  Has anyone contacetd either Garmin or Bontrager?  I am about to but am a bit tired of the hassle having just had to have a new dual hrm replaced b/c a problem pairing.

• It is common to other Garmin devices too. I have an Edge 1000 paired with a Flare and Ion Pro RT, and I constantly have problems with either lights disconnecting from network mid-ride, or downright not being recognised by Edge 1000. This morning the taillight (Flare) was  working fine, while the headlight (Ion Pro RT) could not be paired with the Garmin. It's the other way round now, where I managed to connect the Ion Pro to the light network but the Flare is not coming up in the search! The only reason I invested in these lights is the Garmin connectivity, and I'm very close to taking them back to the store! This is so frustrating! I don't understand why it's so hard to get the lights working consistently when Garmin never has any problems with other sensors?!

• Edge 530, latest firmware + Bontrager Flare RT.
    Every single ride the light disconnects at least 2-3 times - luckily, it reconnects on its own in moments. I have never had a ride where it did not happen once.

• Do you have any other sensors or accessories that you are running at the same time?