This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 530 power drops

Is anyone experiencing power drops with dual sided power meters? I experience dropouts both indoor and out. I know it's not the power meter since my 520 doesn't have a single dropout during the same conditions. I'm on 6.0 as of now. 

Thank you

• While I appreciate that you're probably trying to be helpful, there's a lot of conjecture in your statements above. The pods on a S-Works Power Crank are 4iiii, while it might be possible to say that the PM isn't accurate (I don't agree with that statement, certainly not consistent with my testing, just saying it could be argued), the radio hardware wouldn't be impacted by strain gauge placement/readings/etc.

I have tested this PM extensively, with my Garmin 530 and other devices. Both standalone and using multiple head units to record the same data, at the same time. I can confidently say that the 530 is more prone to drop-outs than any other cycling computer I have used, and it has gotten worse (a lot worse recently).

It is not uncommon to see the 530 dropping out PM reading while the other two cycling computers I have with me are showing the data perfectly.

Is it possible that this is because of my rubbish power meter? Sure. Is it likely? Not so much...

Oh, yeah, lets not forget that this issue isn't isolated to power meters. Other ANT+ devices get disconnected randomly as well...

• Can You share a FIT file where You have dropouts ? (maybe i can read out something from the file...)  If I remember good the PM's signal strength was weak and if a little bit weaker antenna design (530?) meets with weak radio transmitter (Speci) then usually there are dropouts. Sometimes the radio strenght could be increased via firmware with bigger battery consumption but not in every case unfortunately.  

• What are you looking for in the file specifically (i.e. which fields/events)?

• the signal strenght of the power meter,

but if You upload your FIT file here, there will be sensor info at the end : https://fit2tcx.runalyze.com/temp/

the unknown9 is the signal strenght , 95% 

• It looks like that site is showing the deviceinfo messages, and translating the values from the RAW to a more human readable format.

This is the PM's (Manufacturer 63 = Specialized, DeviceType 11 = PM) device info message decoded by the FIT SDK. Doesn't look to have anything that would indicate signal strength.

I have my own FIT parser, will have a look at it in more detail later, but the message above isn't promising.

• Not exactly sure which gen I have, but my firmware is 2.9. The only thing I’m certain of is that I only have drops with my 530, not the 520. Hopefully I could get this sorted. Thanks 

• and is it the latest (2.9) fw for the cranks?  Could You check it via Specialized mobile app? Can You share 2 FIT files from a dual recording? (a 520's FIT and a 530's FIT for comparison) 

• the 84% is not so bad but not the strongest. Thinking

• It seems that every time I attempt to upload a file an error occurs notifying me to contact the admin. Is there a different way other than the insert function?