This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin 530 power drops

Is anyone experiencing power drops with dual sided power meters? I experience dropouts both indoor and out. I know it's not the power meter since my 520 doesn't have a single dropout during the same conditions. I'm on 6.0 as of now. 

Thank you

• Yes. Really bad with 6, bit better with 6.2. Noticed that if I manually pause the activity and sleep the Garmin sometimes it gets better.

• Yep, similar experiences here. Lots on 5.x, some on 6.0 (thought I didnt have it installed long before 6.2) and 6.2 has been ok but not perfect.

• Thanks guys. I’ll update to version 6.2 and see if things improve. During my last test I had so many drops that the data wasn’t useable. Pretty crazy that I now use my older Garmin 520. I filled out the document, and provided files per Garmin’s request at the beta level. Hopefully they figure it out soon.  

• Did You pair the powermeter via BT or ANT+ to 530? What kind of (dual) powermeter do You use?

• I know not directed at me, but I've used BT and ANT+, as well as just ANT+, with no discernible difference. Shimano R9100-P integrated power meter which if you put some accuracy aside, should stay connected...

• what is the firmware version in Shimano PM? 4.2.0?  I prefer to use only via ANT+ with Garmin devices and pls be sure that the powermeter is not connected via BT to your mobile (to the Shimano app for example, need to disconnect from there) because if both (ANT+ and BT ) are active in the radio part of the R9100-P it can cause decreased signal strength and dropouts.  

With a good powermeters ((i have a "few"... and not Shimanos :) )  there are no dropouts with 530/830 series... (that fact that dual or not, doesnt matter, there are master and slave side and the head unit is communicate only with master side, the Shimano 2 sides as i know connected via cable to each other and not via 2.4GHz (ANT+ or BT))

• My Assioma’s work fine, no drops (I use ANT+ )

• Thank you for the response. I have a 2018 Tarmac S-Works that came with dual sided 4iii power meter. I confirmed it is connect ANT+. I also tried disabling the BT on my phone during rides, no help. I find it odd that I get absolutely no dropouts with my older 520z
  • I also have a 4iiii based (S-Works Power Cranks) PM, connected via ANT+. Probably also worth pointing out that it's not just the PM that has occasional connectivity issues (Varia Radar and Di2 also disconnect)...

• Which one Speci PowerCrank, the 1st or the 2nd GEN already? (the 1st GEN has 2.3 firmware, the 2nd GEN has 4.0 or higher)   the 1st was a nighmare with tons of dropouts (the Speci replaced for a 2nd GEN in warranty for my friends), the 2nd one is little bit better but not the same quality as a 4iiii. Not a good powermeter imho....