This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Some sensors never reconnect after a paused ride with 5.50

Today I did my first ride after the update of firmware to 5.50 . Everything connect up fine, the sensors were:

1. Wahoo HR strap

2. Quarq spider power meter (cadence comes from here)

3. Garmin speed sensor

4. SRAM force eTap shifters

5. Varia RTL 510 radaeer/light

After a few miles we did a coffee shop stop, I pressed the play button to pause the ride (it also has auto-pause enabled but didn't want it pausing and unpausing as I walked with the bike to the bike stand).

After about 20-25 minutes pressed play button again to resume the ride, this time the power meter and heart rate sensor never connected back again. At the end of the ride I checked the heart rate sensor against my Garmin watch and it looked fine. Haven't checked the power meter yet but I checked it's battery before leaving and it was fine at that time. So for the remainder of my ride, I was missing power, cadence and heart rate.

Are there any best practices to avoid sensor disconnection after long pauses?

Thanks.

• I have the same issue. Once the remote or my vivoactive 3 (for heartrate broadcast) loose their connection, I'm not able to reconnect them during the workout.

• Thanks, I wonder if just forcibly shutting down the 530 and turning on again would do the trick. Will try the next time it happens. Still sucks though to have to do something like that for such an expensive device.

• Same here.

Solution: Settings -> Sensors ->

For each sensor that does not work any more:
      Select sensor -> disable -> enable (again).

• Thanks!!! Will try that as well if it happens. Seems like just turn off / turn on would be a bit simpler if it works and doesn't lose the ride. But if either works it is at least a workaround.

• Another long ride with a big gap in between when I paused it manually for a coffee shop stop. Once again quarq power meter and wahoo tickr heart rate strap disconnected and wouldn't reconnect. I tried the disable and re-enable trick suggested above and it worked once. Another short manual pause of a few minutes later in the same ride, the same thing happened. This time tried disable and enable multiple times and the sensors wouldn't budge. Confirmed by adding the power meter sensor to my fenix 5 plus watch that the meter was fine. Tried deleting the sensor from the 530 and adding back but the 530 couldn't even find the sensor. Finally forcibly turned off power (got a warnings about being midride which I ignored) and turned on again. This time the sensors connected fine, good thing is the ride wasn't lost and continued. Majorly disappointed in the whole experience though. 

----

Saad

• Solution: Settings -> Sensors ->

For each sensor that does not work after pausing:
      Select sensor -> Connect.

• See above. I tried that, it worked once, but wouldn't work the second time no matter how often I tried. Ended up having to reboot.

I'll try opening a support ticket with Garmin.

• Oh you said select Connect, in the menu all I saw was enable/disable, there was no connect option I think.

• You're right, there is a Connect option also, not sure how I missed it. Will try that instead of disable/enable next time. Still wish none of this were needed though.

Thanks!!!

• Had a chat with Garmin customer support, they said some others had also reported sensor drops. They asked me to send in a ride file after turning on ANT logging, so their engineers can take a look. I plan to do something like that within a day or two, hopefully the sensors drop again . Can't believe I'm hoping for it ;-)

Cheers.