This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 530 Strava segments live not showing

Hi support,

I followed all the steps to get the Strava segments:

Enabled strava over Garmin segments

Created route from Strava website

Starred segments in Strava

Opened course through the IQC Strava

Still no segments. Tried to cycle without navigation, still nothing. 

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago in reply to 5655395

Yep!  Know exactly how you feel. 
    AGREE 100%. 
    Garmin promises A LOT. 

Poor on delivery. 

• Strava live segments are not reliable due to bad GPS sensibility on edge. 1/2 segment in mountain fails and is discarded during segment ride because edge thinks it’s off route ...

• i find the latest firmware more sensitive on GPS.  Complains a lot more about being offcourse when I'm not.    Strava segments sometimes show up, sometimes not and sometimes late.   Previous firmware was WAY WAY better for strava segments.    I think I will revert back to previous firmware/backup.

• Just bought a 530 and also cannot get live segments to appear during a ride. I can see the segments on the map, but the live segment screen will not display. I selected the 530 over the Roam, perhaps that was a bad decision. 

• I made the same decision and seems like that was a bad decision too. The integration with Strava is garbage. I can’t get all my routes over and the ones that do come over have terrible elevation data that make them close to useless. 

• If you care about Strava Live segments, yes. 

I own the edge over a year now and live segments never worked as advertised.
    Actually it was always the same experience you have now.
    Sometimes a segment works, but there is no deterministic behavior.
    Sometimes restarting the route while cycling delivers more segments in the preview.
    Even those do not necessarily trigger -- yet the chance is >0 that they do if they are in the preview.

The Edge 530 is cheaper though and the navigation is pretty good I would say.
    I guess that the issue with live segments will never be resolved.
    Some people assume that the GPS chip is not good enough, so not a software problem without solution.

• Strava segments have "always" worked for me. I have 1 that has always triggered on my 510 and now 530 until I upgraded the 530 to v5.51 (not sure about 5.50) but the segment has stopped working. Now on 5.68 it also does not work. It is not intermittent, it just does not trigger. The segment is on the device and segments are set to ON under the Road profile. I just emailed the edge.beta team my files.

• Just to add to my other comment, I thought that maybe the segments being synced was because the ones that ARE on my device, are all uphill, whereas the downhill ones are not. Thought maybe the Strava fun Police may have had a hand in this, however, ALL of the Strava starred segments are showing in my Garmin Connect dashboard. Surely at this point, Garmin should just load them to the device?

• New user, who bought the 530 MTB bundle today for Strava Segments integration mainly, but also for the mtb specific data. First impressions are i'm really disappointed that Strava seems to be missing. The device promises so much, but it isn't very beginner friendly either. It actually feels like a drain on my time trying to set it up then finding out it hasn't saved the settings and doesn't work how I would have imagined it would have, so perhaps I should have just bought a mount for my phone and used Strava that way, or maybe a cheap computer to give me live feedback and use the Strava data once I get home. I just didn't see this coming unfortunately and wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now. hopefully things will improve, or i'll either be looking to return this, or flogging it on ebay and buying a Wahoo model.

• I didn't cover that topic in my post but very true and I think related to same poor GPS performance.  The MTB bundle was a complete waste as it never correctly tracked on the trail and/or accurately identified turns.  However, the Wahoo doesn't have trailforks and therefore wasn't great either on trails so I use trailforks (sent to strava) on my phone and it works great.  Wahoo for road bike.  If you're in the return window, get rid of the 530 - it really stinks both technically and from a UI perspective and it's not going to get better with updates.