This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sending course from Garmin Connect to Edge 530 while activity in progress

I've never had any luck sending course from Garmin Connect (on iPhone XR) to Edge 530 while on the road. When you send a course you need to sync the device, but it never works for me while activity is in progress. It either never finishes syncing or throws an error that the device is busy... Does anyone know a way around this?

• Edge 830:

Set up hotspot on phone (tested on iPhone) as wifi on Edge 830.

-Pause activity.

-Create course on phone (while drinking coffee!) and load into Garmin Connect (I used Strava) 

-Push side button on Edge two times (first sleep then on again) Wifi will sync and download complete will show up.

-Turn Edge off and on again to get the new course in to the "courses" folder

-Ride new course!

• The link to the widget (you can search for "grouteloader").

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/6b770e92-2cc6-437e-8de2-0efae208a455

The widget and the app are the same program (with some very minor differences).

• Nice idea and might work around fiddling with URLs which you need with GRouteLoader, but does it stop the current (structured) workout? 

• No, it shouldn't stop anything. You can download routes during an activity (I believe that would be true for structured workouts too).

You don't need to "fiddle with URLS". That's an option for other purposes (somewhat "advanced" purposes)

=================.

The app/widget makes it easy to download routes (pinned or recent) from RWGPS, if you have a RWGPS account).

RWGPS has an app but doesn't have a widget. (The GrouteLoader app/widget is also available on many more devices than the RWGPS app is.)

Otherwise, you'd have to use the course/route number to download from RWGPS or Garmin Connect. This number is in the URL for the route/course. This is, honestly, not as convenient as people would like.

• Don't get my wrong, I love the widget - it saved my ass when we spontaneously decided to circumvent a rain storm while keeping to our workout - but as a komoot user for routing I have to go the komoot -> GC -> GC route number way. It is doable of course just a little bit fiddling with URLs and numbers but I am glad it is an option. 

My question regarding the interrupting of workouts in progression was directed towards  and his alternative suggestion with a forced sync via mobile hotspot. 

• RWGPS makes it fairly easy to access stuff on their website. Garmin Connect doesn't  Worried.

• No it just pauses the workout. It will start again where you stopped it.

• Unfortunately your solution doesn`t work for me (Android + E530). 

This is really stupid limitation that you can`t easily sync new route while doing activity. 

• Can you describe what you are seeing?

With Android, you need to use the GExporter Android app.

It should work. This just uses IP addresses. Which can be used during an activity.

Note: WiFi is disabled during an activity but BT works (but is slow).

==================

It works for me.

I'm using the widget version (the app version won't work during an activity).

I have my 1030+ paired with an iphone running Garmin connect.

I can connect to the GExporter app running on my Android tablet (using the IP address for it on the LAN).

This is during an activity.

• I was refering to StianKelton`s way of sync, which doesn`t work for me.

But both Grouteloader and Gexport/import work very nice. I also managed to get Locus app work and create routes offline, save gpx to my phone and then export it. 

However, I still think Garmin made it really stupid not to allow sync during activity. At least it`s good that workaround works.