This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why does the distance to the next turn not update?

Garmin.... oh Garmin....

PLEASE change the "next turn" screen such that the distance at the top left actually shows the current distance to the next turn. For some reason it shows an old value at the top left and the current value at the bottom left. See image. (thanks dcrainmaker)

It would be nice to configure the lower data fields individually. Currently it's quite confusing if at the top it says 0.1 mile to the next turn ... even though I'm standing just next to the turn.

It would also be nice to have more options regarding the changing screens, i.e. configure screen 1 to show for 10s, screen 2 for 5s, screen 3 only manually.

edit: if map screen is set to high contrast, the turn screen still shows the normal map. This should use the same setting. 

• It was not called out as fixed in the change log so it is no surprise that it is still there. As the correct distance does show in the bottom left data field I suspect that this is not classified with the highest priority to fix.

• I wonder if it's hardware related as some people does not seem to have the problem - 

This is from Rides of Japan's youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heBQrKmuR5A&t=11s

Hey - can any confirm that their turn notification is not stuck at the value it first appears? Mine does - it will say 50m to the turn and stay that way even i exit the turn. It does not countdown the distance to the turn. Then it disappears.....until another static turn notification comes up. Can be very misleading - i missed a few turns already.

Hide replies
    Big Lampar that has not happened in my case. Could it be an issue with the route data? Do you get in on other routes as well?
    I remember one time someone having some issues with their edge - can't specifically recall what it was - maybe it was GPS accuracy....they managed to exchanged for another new unit and they problem no longer exist. Sometimes the internals quality of these units can vary and therefore produce the issue.
  • Seems more likely he didn’t understand the question and talked about the distance at the bottom instead of the one at the top ....

• Garmin are aware of the issue. You could change the Edge to give you text prompts rather than the pop-up map page. The distance on the text message will update as you approach the turn.

Settings > Activity Profiles > select a profile > Navigation > Navigation Prompts > select "Text Only" 

• OK - thanks for the assurance. It's a relief. I was afraid it was only my unit tat was wonky. 

The pop up map page is still the superior navigation aid. So i would think it should be a very high priority. 

• The correct value is shown in the bottom left, so the data is available so that somewhat reduces the priority level, but I'm sure this thread is getting attention.

• Any idea of when this will get fixed? I really like my pop up TBT page to NOT have any additional fields so that i can have the largest map image available for the upcoming turn. Right now i am forced to use a redundant field that takes up 1/3 of the real estate of screen because the main distance to the turn fails to decrease.

• It's just so annoying that it covers a 1/3 of the screen..On the old edge 800 once you turned off text it stayed off on both maps and map pop up.. Come on Garmin can you please sort this..

• This is still not fixed in 5.02 beta. Sadly it must be low down in the priority. It's a pity because i consider the 530 broken until this is fixed. It's quite ridiculous for this bug to go unfixed for so long. This is a navigation device and the pop up turn distance countdown  is a critical function for proper and safe routing. 

• PLEASE Garmin, can't you get on this topic? Is it so difficult / cumbersome to fix? This is so annoying and frustrates me every time I go for a ride. Early Christmas gift? :-)