This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

phone connectivity (problems/solutions)

Hello, I'm a really happy Garmin 530 user. The only problem I have is the connection between Phone and GPS. 
I have a One Plus 6 and the connection drops and reconnects randomly. Sometimes it's stays off for the entire ride, other times is on and off from time to time. I can't figure it out a pattern. 
On the phone Garmin connect App has all the privileges, it isn't included in the battery saving list, it's always "up", so there's nothing I can remember that it may cause it to reset the connection. 
My previous two GPS, a Garmin 810 and a Wahoo Elemnt both worked flawlessly, and that's a problem. My wife got used to it (and so did I) and is expecting to keep tracking of my road rides and she can't anymore. We have dangerous roads around here and it's a matter of safety, not to mention the calls and sms. 

Does anyone has a trick or tip to help me out? 
Thanks! 

• This is really baffling, after coming to the conclusion last night that I now had to always have GCM running as it would not connect in maybe 10 attempts until I opened the app, today I walked outside and turned the 530 on to calibrate the compass, and it connected to my phone just fine (my phone was still inside). I checked the phone, GCM was not running at all. I’m one of those people that regularly close all apps. Strange.

• Just a follow up. Two additional rides. That makes 4/4 on connecting with my phone just by making sure the garmin connect app was recently opened.

1. I have Galaxy S9 and found the only way to connect to my Edge 530 is to make sure the S9 Location is turned on & bluetooth is turned on before turning on the Edge 530.
    2. If Edge 530 is already turned on before you have S9 Location turned on - most likely it wont connect. You may need to do two things
    • Turn S9 Location on
    • Turn Bluetooth off/on

I have found using either method 1 or 2 above work. Word of caution if Edge is in sleep mode phone will disconnect. Same goes if Auto Sleep is active. You may need to go back to method 1 or 2 above.

BTW I have posted this fix/work around on the Forum recently but can't find it.

Hope this helps 

• More than a bit of a pain
    If there is anything I did not like about my time with the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, it was having to actively open the app on my phone to get a connection with the GPS. I never had that with the Edge 1000.
    Now, with the Edge 530, it's not even sufficient to open the app minutes before booting the GPS. It will not connect unless I'm 'active' in the app on Android. So now I can't even boot the app, put the phone away and go get my bike in the garage.
    And all while my old Edge 1000, used for indoor trainings, still flawlessly connects to the phone, every single time...

• Just a follow up question / observation with the need to have GCM running.

I’m maybe at 60/40 successful connections when I just turn on my 530 and do not have GCM running so it’s still a little confusing as to whether it’s an “official” requirement to have to open GCM before every ride?

“Auto Start for Live Track” as an example says that you don’t need to open the app (GCM help section) to start a live track session, but it says nothing about actually having to have the app running in the first place. If you need to open the app just to get a connection, well then you need to open the app to get Live Track working...

• I've got a OnePlus 7 and couldn't get the Garmin to stay connected for a whole ride until recently. I now find that if I have the phone unlocked and fire up the connect app, with the 530 on, it establishes a connection before my ride. Then I can lock the phone and go on my ride without losing the connection.

• Thank you for this, as opening the app seems to have worked, but I still think it’s BS!!!!

my edge 520 I never had to do this and it worked perfectly:(

• I have exactly the same issue with a google pixel 2 phone - incredibly annoying! What is the solution??

• My interpretation of Garmin's Livetrack instructions is the GCM must be running for Livetrack to work. I've never had it connect without GCM running in the background on my Iphone6.

Where are you seeing the statement that GCM does not need to be running?

• I didn’t say that it didn’t need to be running, just that it didn’t need to be open, which could be interpreted that way

GCM > Live Track > Help > Auto Start

This thread is about general connectivity more than Live Track, and how it used to connect fine without having to open the app first