This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

phone connectivity (problems/solutions)

Hello, I'm a really happy Garmin 530 user. The only problem I have is the connection between Phone and GPS. 
I have a One Plus 6 and the connection drops and reconnects randomly. Sometimes it's stays off for the entire ride, other times is on and off from time to time. I can't figure it out a pattern. 
On the phone Garmin connect App has all the privileges, it isn't included in the battery saving list, it's always "up", so there's nothing I can remember that it may cause it to reset the connection. 
My previous two GPS, a Garmin 810 and a Wahoo Elemnt both worked flawlessly, and that's a problem. My wife got used to it (and so did I) and is expecting to keep tracking of my road rides and she can't anymore. We have dangerous roads around here and it's a matter of safety, not to mention the calls and sms. 

Does anyone has a trick or tip to help me out? 
Thanks! 

• I was having connection issues which were different than yours but I read on another post (cant find it now) about people suggestion to delete the connection from the edge unit and phone and also uninstall the app from the phone. The re-install connect app and pair the edge unit from the app. It seems to have fixed my issue.

• I've got a completely different phone but I too have phone connection problems sometimes.

iPhone 6s Plus, sometimes I turn the 530 on and it connects to the phone, sometimes, it just sits there and does nothing. On the 530 the phone is listed, but it just says "Connecting". Nothing I can do can get it to connect apart from removing the phone from the 530 and adding it again.

Sometimes it's fine for days and works without any problem, some days it constantly refuses to connect to it. I've restarted the phone, repaired the devices, still the same issues every now and again.

• I'm still going through this with support. Galaxy S9. I've updated to the latest firmware a couple times (including the beta), and each time they have me remove the Edge and re-connect it to the phone following their instructions. So far I'm still having issues. Sometimes it disconnects and stays disconnected, this last ride (first one with the new FW I think) it actually reconnected after a few minutes. Usually when it isn't reconnecting on its own, I can pull out my phone, open it (the Garmin app is always still up) and it will reconnect after a few seconds.

So, no solutions yet here. It's really the only issue I have with mine as well.

• I'm having serious issues as well with my iPhone X.  Recently upgraded from an Edge 520 that was rock solid. I have a really poor success rate with full phone connectivity, maybe 25%.  I have noticed that one of the bluetooth channels connects well.  I believe this is the channel for smart notifications, as I got a few random phone notifications even though it was still "searching" for my iPhone.

I'm really getting tired of having to turn it on and off and disconnect and re-pair just to get my rides uploaded.  I've tried doing the Garmin chat this morning, but it apparently doesn't work.

Both phone and Garmin are on the latest software updates.

I'll be watching for answers as well.

• Exactly that, I get notifications whilst I'm riding, but when I get to the end of the ride, it won't upload to Garmin Connect, it says there's no phone connected.

It's just hit and miss as to when it works, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

• Exact same issue, one of the 2 BT channel connects well, I get notifications, weather and stuff, but the other, if the sync between my phone and my Edge 530 isn't new, is almost never connected, and then, upload and group track fails.

• So I had a nice call with Garmin support yesterday.  Apparently with each new product release, Garmin devices are being integrated much more into the Garmin Connect app.  What happens is the app has to be running actively in the background and establish connection for the device to connect to the phone (fully, not just notifications).  I'm a person that usually closes out background applications rather often.  Doing so with the Garmin Connect app will cause issues with phone connections. The last couple rides I've opened the Connect app within probably 30-45 minutes before my rides and both have maintained a solid and immediate connection.

I don't consider this issue solved as I haven't done enough testing, but I think we're on the right path.  I do wish it just worked like my last 520, but I think the additional features require a tighter relationship with the Connect app.

Try this and post back successes and failures.

Edit:  Also the dual bluetooth bands is irrelevant.  One of them is BLE (low energy) and the other is a higher speed connection that uses more battery.  The second channel only connects under situations where speed is needed, like when syncing, downloading, or uploading.  Normal operation is only one channel.

• That doesn’t sound right, I’ve NEVER had to have Garmin Connect Mobile running in any way for either my 510 or 530 to connect to a variety of Android and Apple phones.

I turn the Garmin on, it connects, I ride, stop the timer, ride uploads, I turn the Garmin off, all without touching the phone.

If they want to integrate GCM more into the Edge, then let us program the 530 from the app.

edit: it’s possible there are features that I’m not getting because I don’t have GCM running (which ones are they that require full connectivity?), but I’m not missing them either. As long as the GPS is accurate and I can upload my rides, the rest can wait until I get home.

• I’m going to have to update my post and say that I’ve never had an issue connecting, until today...

Been on the indoor trainer the last few weeks, so not entirely sure when this changed, maybe with the update to 4.10 I did last week, however now when I turn on the 530, it just sits there searching for the phone. As soon as I open the GCM app, it connects. That’s a bit of a pain tbh.