This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding ClimbPro on the Edge - updated for build 5.50

I thought it would be helpful to write-up how ClimbPro works on the Edge. 

This write-up is based on the recent 5.50 software release.

New in Build 5.50 is

Estimated time to the top of the climb

Understanding ClimbPro on the Edge V1.9.pdf

• Super helpful, thank you very much. After wrestling yesterday for 30min with starting a structured TrainingPeaks workout and navigating a course I am ready for more insider real life instructions / explanations.

• This great function that made me chose the 530 over wahoo bolt is too complicated to use.

map is preloaded and phone connected to the 530. Climb pro should appear anytime you reach a climb.

using routes take too much time for most "live ride" : Meet your friends and decide where to ride without having to think if you loaded the right route... 

Hope this feature will be improved in next firmwares.

Thanks for the actual function PDF that clarify how to currently use that function.

• I'm still wondering what 'Avg Grade' number is telling me...

Is it the avg gradient for the next km (or mile)? (don't think so, but would be very useful imho)

Or is it the avg gradient for the remaing distane of the total climb? (which is pretty useless on longer climbs with lots of variations in the gradients...)

• It is the average grade left to the top of the climb. 

It's value is somewhat limited. The color coding of the grade on the profile for the next section has more value.

• I just used Climbpro for a 10:day cycling trip and it worked great. Do you know what the little circle and line graphic below the colored profile? In your pdf on pages 6 and 7 this is shown on some of the screen captures at the left side of the profile. On my last ride I. It iced it for the first time as it moved over below then beyond my location and back. 

Initially I thought it might be grouptrack related as I had that running. But moving ahead and behind me didn’t fit for that. So maybe current progress vs. estimated course progress?

• The white circle below the elevation profile line is the position of the virtual partner based on the pacing data in the course file. The balloon above the line is your position.

• I agree that climbPro should appear anytime you reach a climb. Otherwise ClimbPro is not very relevant to the average cyclist. I'll be climbing 500 meters in length with average grade 6% - and it'll feel like a climb, i'll feel like a pro but I can't use climbPro for it?

• Yesterday I tried ClimbPro for the first time:

- On the main climb it didn't detect the last portion of the climb as part of it. It was on the range of the average grade but it shorten the lenght

- the course has a hill that was ride back and forth. It detected the climb when I was actually descending it.

This feature needs a lot of work yet...