This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Understanding ClimbPro on the Edge - updated for build 5.50

I thought it would be helpful to write-up how ClimbPro works on the Edge. 

This write-up is based on the recent 5.50 software release.

New in Build 5.50 is

Estimated time to the top of the climb

Understanding ClimbPro on the Edge V1.9.pdf

• Great news. Garmin support have come back to me. They said that this problem (no "Climb detection" option being shown) was resolved with firmware update 5.24. I have since installed 5.34 and that functionality is now available! 

• Hello, is it possible to have the same kind of estimated time arrival /remaining for segments  ?

Indeed during segment course, eta and virtual partner are only based on mean speed of segment, which is useless on unregular profiles of climbs 

Regards

• How will this work? How does the Garmin know where you are riding without a course? It needs the course to go searching for the climbs you will encounter. I can't see how it could ever figure out any climbs without a course; there's no logic there for it to follow.

• How do you know so much? I really appreciate you answering these questions!

• - would really appreciate some guidance here... ClimbPro used to work just fine (except in combination with navigational directions, but that is another topic...)

Now, the problem at hand is the following: I am going for a short ride in Ardennes and created the following route on Strava: https://www.strava.com/routes/2722894104476006880 The elevation is 1295 meters as per Strava. 

Once loaded to Garmin 530, I go ahead to check the "Climbs" and something is completely off... To start with it shows total elevation is shown as 2453 meters, which is almost double the reality. Next to that some of the climbs themselves are off from both distance and gradient perspective.

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you in advance as always!

• You are not doing anything wrong and it is not a ClimbPro specific issue.

The problem is with the current Strava/Garmin Connection integration

Currently when the course is being sent from Garmin Connect to your device it replaces the elevation data provided to it by Strava by elevation data computed by Garmin Connect. This is why the values are changing.

Garmin are aware of this issue and are working it.

The workaround to this is to use the older transfer method of using the Strava Route App from the Edge to pull the course from Strava.

• @aweatheral But how do you advise reinstalling the Strava app which is required following your outage. The install fails each time giving a 401 error?
  • Super - great answer and even better tip!

Thanks a lot!

• Garmin is aware that the Strava Route App is down. They are working on bring it back up.