This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Poor instructions when navigating

When navigating (on roads) the TBT are extremely patchy. To the point that they are rather useless in the sense that you cannot rely them and must constantly look at the map to figure out what you're supposed to do next. 

Just displaying the route I'm interested on the map would essentially achieve the same for me - and probably save a lot of battery.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

• Yes, TBT is useless (to me). Worst in roundabouts, but also very misleading in many other situations.

Also, TBT is quite laggy and sometimes freezes my screen for up to a minute.

I suggest you contact Garmin support (so did I) - they have informed me that a ticket exists, no further info on timeline for a fix (or even a ticket number). The more people complain, the better I guess.

• Yes, same problem. Already contacted garmin support,  no feedback  so far. I simply cannot understand  why such a basic feature does still not work.

In another post someone mentioned to have fixed that by installing an OSM map.

• I have tested various OSM maps - with mixed results. Better than stock, but the experience is still buggy. 

• I am also using the OSM maps. Well at least it's somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one experiencing this issue and that I didn't get a bad apple...

• The maps installed on the units are based on OSM and I believe Garmin is using the same program (mkgmap) to create them.

There is no reason to expect other sources for OSM maps will work any better.

• Has worked well for me.  Are you creating the routes as cycling routes?  Before every turn the 530 switches to a map view so I can see where I need to turn. Very happy with the navigation.

• I know it should be all the same - but believe me there are major differences how the device shows TBT depending on the map you are using. So far I have seen the best results with the (free) country maps from alternativaslibres.org. Not perfect, but mostly tolerable. Stock Garmin map is just terrible in my case. 

• I have noticed that roundabouts in the Garmin maps are not tagged as roundabouts.  This causes some navigation issues.  OSM based maps form other sources have roundabouts tagged correctly and if those are used the device will give you correct navigation instructions at roundabouts.

• I am also very happy with the navigation instructions from a previously created route. However when I (deliberately) miss a turn and the edge recalculates the road route it doesnt care that I am using the road profile and instructs me to turn i.e. on an unpaved road! This is clearly a bug