This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS Accuracy

I do the majority of my rides with a friend who uses a Garmin Edge 130 in comparision to my Edge 530 - when checking our rides on Strava his tracking is noticeably more accurate than I'm seeing on my device (mine regularly cuts corners and tracks a fair distance from the road I'm on).

What is the recommended GPS setting for the 530 in the UK - currently using GPS + Glonass - I'd expect the 530 to track at least as well as the 130 but no luck at present!

I've attached a screenshot showing the sort of tracking I'm seeing on every ride - my friends 130 in comparison is always rock solid on the road and only occasionally cuts a corner.

• Since thursday the Galileo system is out of service:

https://www.gsc-europa.eu/system-status/Constellation-Information

https://www.gpsworld.com/galileo-down-over-weekend/amp/

https://insidegnss.com/update-galileo-service-degraded-on-all-satellites-precise-timing-facility-problems-cited/

So for the time being one should use GPS+GLONASS.

It is however no explanation for the other reports of weak accuracy of the new 530 & 830 devices which I myself observe when cycling under foliage.

• Good to hear!

I've always used GPS + GLONASS on my 510 and now 530 and haven't seen too many issues. 

• I updated my 830 to 2.42 yesterday, ride today GPS did appear better, matched my edge 800 pretty well

• I have also noticed that the GPS track is not good with the Edge 530 under tree cover and perhaps around buildings.  Cuts corners etc.  I own/have owned and Edge 510, Edge 520+ and both these do/did an excellent tracking job in similar conditions.  My Fenix 5 also does a reasonable job.

Recording is set at 1 sec and I've tried both GPS and GPS + GLONASS.

Currently running 3.50/2.30

• Update the gps to 2.42 and try again

• I've also had similar issues, where as tracking is not as expected. as example as above, i was standing in an intersection with the trail directly to the right of me, but the GPS looked to be 10-15 meters off, and the guidance told me to turn right in 40m.

with both 3.55 beta and 2.42 GPS beta, and regular.

It can be quite frustrating when running areas where trails are small and close together....

• Similar problems here when compared to an old edge 705 with GPS only. I reported to Garmin and they just referred me to the usual info on the website.

It can drift way off with only minor tree cover when using GPS and glonas. Not tried Galileo due to the recent satellite down time. With GPS only the new device should be as least as good as the old 705 unless the antenna is substantially better in the old unit or power saving is dominating accuracy.

• It seems like it's the Sony chipset, that causes the problems , if I understand DC Rainmaker correct in his review of the MARQ watch . From the review : The thing is at this point in 2019, everyone’s going to be on Sony for new units. So anything announced in 2019 (and most things non-Garmin announced in 2018) are running the Sony chipset. Be it Polar, Suunto, or Garmin (I haven’t seen anyone pin down what chipset Apple uses for the Apple Watch, but frankly it doesn’t matter – GPS accuracy on land is worse there), you’re gonna end up with a Sony chipset. And while all these companies are pressuring Sony to get better, the results are still kinda variable. There are good days and bad days, and there’s not a lot we can do about that.

www.dcrainmaker.com/.../garmin-marq-athlete-in-depth-review.html

• I also see some strange behaviour on the GPS. Last nights city race on MTB clearly shows it. I rode 8 rounds on the same course but one was way off on the GPS. I only use standard GPS (no glonass or galileo). Why can't Garming get better GPS results?

• I've running my new Edge 530 alongside my older Edge 510 using the same settings (eg GPS 1 sec). I'm running 4.1/2.42 software.

The Edge 530 GPS performance is very poor where there is any GPS degradation due to any bush/tree cover, buildings etc.  While I expect some degradation, the older 510 performs well and the newer 530 is very poor. 

The 530 typically records distances at up to 10% less than the 510.

The 530 seems to cut corners etc.

Here's some screen shots from a recent ride. The 510 is the blue line and the 530 the orange line.  I've overlayed over the google satellite photos.

In each case the 510 track is broadly correct (as expected not perfect), however the 530 gps track is consistently poor.  The 530 seems to consistently "cut corners".

I've switched on the "GPS Accuracy" display field on the 530, but this seems permanently stuck on "3m" no matter how far off track the reported position is.  Note, I ride this particular course regularly, and the results are always similar.

I rode around the outside of this cul de sac...…. (blue = Edge 510, orange = Edge 530)

I've selected a shot where you can see the track:

I don't think I rode through the buildings.....