This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS Chipset Type S1 (3107) software version 2.42 Beta

A Beta software for the GPS Chipset Type S1 in the Edge 530 is now available. Full change log, instructions, and software for installing the beta can be found here.

• For any issues that you encounter please fill out the form included in the download and attach it to an email to [email protected]. Please note that you may not get a response to the email unless we need more information on the issue you report.
  • Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Changes made from version 2.30 to 2.42:

• Improved performance in GPS + GALILEO mode.
  • Other bug fixes and improvements.

Installation Instructions

1. Download and unzip the file GPSChipsetTypeS1_3107__242Beta.zip.
  2. Please follow the installation instructions mentioned in the GPS_006B310700_242_Beta\Installation_Instructions.txt file.

Reverting to the Latest Public Release

To revert your GPS firmware, place the 006B310700-230.GCD file in the \Garmin\RemoteSW folder. Rename the file to 006B310700.GCD.

• I had the same issue yesterday. But with firmware 3.50 / chipset 2.42 beta.

• It happened again the next time I used it.  I reverted 3.50 firmware and the 2.30 chipset firmware and the problem seems to have gone away.  I rode for about 5.5 hours yesterday, and 1.5 hours the day before and had no issues.

• That's interesting to hear. I had installed this GPS firmware a few weeks before 3.55 came out, and then have ridden ~6 times since 3.55 came out (up to around 3 hours in one ride), and haven't had any issues with any of those combos.

• I am still using chipset firmware version 2.30, but have since upgraded to 3.57 and the issue has not returned yet.  I wanted to try the new os firmware independently for a while to rule that out as the cause, as reverting to an older os firmware completely resets the unit and it's a PITA to go through the setup process again, set up sensors, data pages, preferences, etc.  If I have no issues with 3.57 after a couple of weeks, I may try updating the chipset again, though I've had zero issues with GPS reliability with the 2.30 chipset firmware.

• hello what is Garmin position concerning this update : install beta now or wait for official release ?

I upgraded from edge 510 to 530 4.10 (300€). I'm sad to see posts describing a poor Sony chip choice in a flagship 300€ sport GPS.

One simple question : Will a GPS firwmware upgrade be able to bring the 530 to the attended accuracy level ?

My two first rides were altered by unaccurate GPS+Galileo traces (no segment detected in strava) + GPS signal lost during both rides. I went back to GPS + GLONASS,

Please give us forecast on this GPS issue. After these first rides I'm thinking send the edge 530 back and continue using my old 510.

Global 530 feedback is positive over my 510 but this GPS issue is critical as this is core function of the unit.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago in reply to SEB13NOMAD

Before pulling the trigger on a 530 I'm also interested to hear if GPS accuracy can/ will be improved with future firm ware update or whether the inaccuracy is an inherent issue with the Sony chipset, please

• After updating to official 2.5 GPS firmware, my last  75kms ride record was OK.

Accuracy seems to be OK in GPS+ GALLILEO mode.

Need to confirm it on more activities but that's a good point.