This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Font size of data fields in comparison to Edge 820

When laid next to each other, data fields on the Edge 530 appear smaller than on the Edge 820, see picture. That's due to a visual illusion, as there a more space for each data field on the larger screen. I measured the digits with a ruler and they are exactly of the same height on both devices. However, that's not what I expected when I decided to switch from 820 to 530. One motivation was the larger screen and while it does provide benefit for the map and other graphical data pages, it has no effect on the font size of numerical data fields.

Since I am using data pages with numerical data fields most of the time during my rides, here comes my question:
Are there any plans to increase the font size of standard data fields on the Edge 530 so that they better make use of the available space similar to the Edge 820?

Speaking of font size: I have a long time wish to increase the font size of data fields even further. My main data pages haven't changed for years now and I know by heart which data is shown in each field, so I do not need the description on top of the data fields. It would be great to be able to switch off all field descriptions on one data page and by that increase the font size of standard data fields. This switch could be per data page. Just wanted to share this idea.

• Just compared my 520+ and 830 and i have to say your ruler is wrong. That's not optical illusion. I've measured them with my ruler. ;-) Some field numbers ARE smaller on bigger screen of 830. For example Speed (Elevation is evident as well), font is 1 mm wider on 520+. Like in your case the Temeratur in 2nd row. 

• Me too, I find it frustrating that my oldest device, EDGE 800 actually has the smallest screen but the biggest numbers!

• The datafield and font sizes was a bit of a shambles on the 820 for a long time and then they kind of fixed them with a firmware update that gave the A-B alternatives for layouts with larger datafield/fonts sizes. So maybe they'll address this down the line, but I wouldn't hold out for anything imminent.

• Hello, is the problem solved now ?

• Hi, i think some of fields (like Elevation) are ok now (Edge 830 fw 5.0). Some of them (like Speed from my screenshot), still smaller than on Edge 520+.

• That's something Wahoo does significantly better - in my opinion. On the Wahoo Roam the value is much bigger, the description smaller. After 10 rides everyone should know which field shows what, however (at least my) speed, cadence, ... keeps changing :-p

Hence Garmin, maybe simply copy Wahoo for this ;-)

• Indeed, Garmin datafields are not well managed. Fonts are too small, especially in edge 530 ! What is the purpose of a bigger screen/resolution if it not used by bigger fonts. Edge 530 datafield is just big space of blanck area not usefull. 

Garmin, what are you waiting for to display fonts that fit datafields space ???

• It doesn't solve the native fields being smaller than you want, but there's always CIQ data fields.  With those, you can do almost anything.  And different users want different things.  I find the labels useless, for example since I can't read them while I'm riding anyway.  I usually use full screen data fields that layout a data in a much more custom way than the native pages.  

• Indeed but it is difficult to find a ciq datafield with all the fields i want 

• Yeah, I really hope Garmin addresses this issue. 

The choice of data fields that can be displayed can sometimes be a little odd. For one, I'd like to know what my Max HR was during a ride, and the only data field that shows this is in the graphical HR field. Unlike Max Speed, there is otherwise no max HR. 

What also really annoys me is that there is no tool for configuring the data screens outside of the doing it on the device. My not so young Forerunner 35 allows me to configure data screens from the GC App, so why can't I do it with the Edge in 2019?