This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 25 and Speed Sensor setup issues

Former Member
Former Member
what is the proper way to get the magnetless speed sensor to work correctly?
I installed the sensor, my Edge 25 detects it right way, but it doesnt seem to do anything. All the time while riding in the forest my speed will drop to 0.0, and my mileage is way off at the end. If I lift the front of my bike and spin the tire it doesnt display any speed numbers.

My buddy has a 520 with the same sensor and his works perfect. If he spins his front tire the speed shows up and at the end of a ride he might show "12.2 miles" where as my unit will show "6.6miles".

Any tips or suggestions? I'm new to all this not sure what is wrong. Do I need to ride in the streets for a bit so the unit can calibrate properly? I dont see an option on the Edge 25 to manually put in tire size like the 520 has.
  • Make sure you have the latest firmware. Connect the Edge 25 to your computer and launch Garmin Express (which you will need to install if you don't have it, and add your Edge to it). If there is a firmware update available GE will prompt you to install it.
  • Freeway

Make sure you have the latest firmware. Connect the Edge 25 to your computer and launch Garmin Express (which you will need to install if you don't have it, and add your Edge to it). If there is a firmware update available GE will prompt you to install it.

Agree with this recommendation. have you also checked the battery in the sensor? There is another thread where people recommend opening the battery area and wiping off some grease. That resolved issues for people on the edge 520 forum.
  • Same problem here. Firmware 3.0.0, changed the battery too but no speed is detected from sensor.
    Then I tried to switch off GPS for internal use and suddenly the sensor started working, correct speed was prompted.

So Garmin 25 is just using speed sensor when GPS is off...:mad:

If sensor is detected speed should always come from it first, GPS is not reliable at low speeds or in shadow area. This problem is very annoying, hope it will be solved in future firmware release.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Hey WormLord,

We are looking to get some information regarding your experience with the speed sensors. If you could please provide the following information:

Did you get speed from your sensor prior to updating to SW version 3.30?
    Have you had a chance to calibrate the sensor by riding in a straight line for at least a mile?
    If you have ridden in a straight line for a mile, and the speed sensor still is not calibrating, can your provide links to those activities?
  • Former Member
    Hey orna05,

We are looking to get some information regarding your experience with the speed sensors. If you could please provide the following information:

Did you get speed from your sensor prior to updating to SW version 3.30?
    Have you had a chance to calibrate the sensor by riding in a straight line for at least a mile?
    If you have ridden in a straight line for a mile, and the speed sensor still is not calibrating, can your provide links to those activities?
  • Seem to be having a similar issue with mine. Firmware 3.0.0, upgraded before I ever used the unit. I actually called Garmin Tech Support when I first got the unit at Xmas because the speed sensor only gave a read out when Edge was set to ride indoors. They assured me that the speed sensor was the default when used outdoors. However, anytime I'm under heavy tree cover, etc. my mph reading varies widely even though my cadence doesn't vary at all. Haven't ridden in a straight line for a mile intentionally since it's the first time I've ever heard to do that, but feel certain at this point it's been done accidentally. More than once. I'll test it in the next couple days and make sure I'm still having the problem, but it was there this weekend. What activities do you want links to? Ones where the speed sensor didn't override GPS? I'm guessing that's every ride I've ever done with the sensor connected.
  • Former Member
    Seem to be having a similar issue with mine. Firmware 3.0.0, upgraded before I ever used the unit. I actually called Garmin Tech Support when I first got the unit at Xmas because the speed sensor only gave a read out when Edge was set to ride indoors. They assured me that the speed sensor was the default when used outdoors. However, anytime I'm under heavy tree cover, etc. my mph reading varies widely even though my cadence doesn't vary at all. Haven't ridden in a straight line for a mile intentionally since it's the first time I've ever heard to do that, but feel certain at this point it's been done accidentally. More than once. I'll test it in the next couple days and make sure I'm still having the problem, but it was there this weekend. What activities do you want links to? Ones where the speed sensor didn't override GPS? I'm guessing that's every ride I've ever done with the sensor connected.

If you are able to share an activity, we would like to look at one where you rode for at least a mile in a straight line. This is how the Edge 25 will calibrate your wheel size for your speed sensor so that you get the correct distance, both when riding indoors and outdoors.
  • If you are able to share an activity, we would like to look at one where you rode for at least a mile in a straight line. This is how the Edge 25 will calibrate your wheel size for your speed sensor so that you get the correct distance, both when riding indoors and outdoors.

Boy, that's useful information right thar, especially since I was hoping to swap the sensor between bikes. Migh be a good addition to the instruction manual. Do you want me to post the activity link here or send via email?
  • Tried posting earlier, got message saying moderator had to approve? Hopw this one goes through. Just need to know whether you want link posted here or if you want me to email to you.
  • Former Member
    Tried posting earlier, got message saying moderator had to approve? Hopw this one goes through. Just need to know whether you want link posted here or if you want me to email to you.

You should be able to post the link to the activity in the thread. Please ensure that you have changed the privacy setting for that particular activity to Everyone.