This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Should the eMountain activity record Jumps in MTB Dynamics?

I recently started riding an eMTB and noticed that my jumps aren't being recorded in MTB Dynamics when I start an "eMountain" activity. When I look at my ride afterwards, the MTB Dynamics heading is present, but "Jumps" shows zero (0). Is this expected behavior for the eMountain activity profile?

I just updated the firmware form 2.90 to 3.0, so I'll have to wait until my next ride to see if that fixed anything (doubtful).

If not, would there be any issues with simply choosing the normal MountainBiking activity and then changing it to eMountain later once the ride is uploaded to GarminConnect? I don't use Strava or anything like that, so it doesn't matter much to me how it's actually classified. I just like to see my jump data!

• Well, that's weird on its own, Garmin has not released updates for the 130 Plus at that rate... FW 3.00 came out in January, and maybe we had 1 or 2 timezone updates since then... besides, if you're still on 2.90 it means the FW update did not go through.

First of all, make sure there is enough space on your device... plug it into a computer and - eventually - it will show up as a removable drive. You can make room by deleting all the old activities (.FIT files) from the GARMIN\Activity folder, as they will only be removed from the device, not from your Garmin Connect account. You can also delete courses from the GARMIN\Courses folder, although they usually take much less space than Activities. Alternatively, you can do a full reset from the device itself (System > Reset > Delete All), although you'll lose also all your settings.

If I remember correctly the FW update is a two-step process: first you push the new release on the device (I do that from my PC, via USB, but I believe you can do it also via mobile device), then you need to confirm and start the actual update from the device itself.

• OK, just chatted with Garmin support. They confirmed to me:

"Thank you for waiting - the higher ups here confirmed that eBike Type is NOT eligible for counting jumps."

I have no idea why, and the rep didn't seem to know either, but said they would add my request that it be added to a future update.

I'll just the regular Mountain Biking profile to get my jumps back!

Edit: I realized she said 'eBike", which we know does not count MTB dynamics. I asked her to clarify she asked about the correct profile. I'm still in the chat window.

Edit 2: got her calrification:

"Ohh, my apologies about that - yes, I meant to type eMountain and not eBike. Apparently, that is a feature request that was pushed to engineering to hopefully include that in the future."

So there you have it!

• Ok, I'm very confused now, and I'm sorry if I gave you incorrect information... it's possible that I changed the type in Connect AFTER the ride, and that's why I see Jumps on those activities. Not sure why Garmin opted to include Flow and Grit, and exclude Jumps... makes no sense to me. I might go for an afternoon ride today or tomorrow, I'll make sure to start the ride as "eMountain Biking" and do some jumps, to see if they get recorded or not.

• Yesh it doesn't make any sense to me either. I don't know what the difference is between the two profiles. The only thing I can think of is that it would categorize the ride as eMTB vs MTB for something like Strava, where an eMTB would be advantageous for times. If that's the only difference, I will just use the regular MTB profile as I don't use Strava, but I do like seeing the jump metrics!

• I did a quick test in front of the house, and I do confirm what you said: if you start the activity as "eMountain Biking", Grit and Flow are recorded under MTB Dynamics but Jumps are NOT. I clearly must have recorded those rides as "Mountain Biking" and changed them to "eMountain Biking" in Connect.

Makes zero sense, but that's what it is. I edited my first reply to you, as I don't like to spread misinformation. Let's hope they fix it in the next firmware release...