This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Should the eMountain activity record Jumps in MTB Dynamics?

I recently started riding an eMTB and noticed that my jumps aren't being recorded in MTB Dynamics when I start an "eMountain" activity. When I look at my ride afterwards, the MTB Dynamics heading is present, but "Jumps" shows zero (0). Is this expected behavior for the eMountain activity profile?

I just updated the firmware form 2.90 to 3.0, so I'll have to wait until my next ride to see if that fixed anything (doubtful).

If not, would there be any issues with simply choosing the normal MountainBiking activity and then changing it to eMountain later once the ride is uploaded to GarminConnect? I don't use Strava or anything like that, so it doesn't matter much to me how it's actually classified. I just like to see my jump data!

• I looked at some of the activities that I recorded as "eMountain Biking" and I do see jumps under MTB Dynamics. Either there is something wrong with your device, or you're not jumping enough :-)

See if the latest firmware makes a difference, although there is nothing in the 3.0 release notes about MTB Dynamics.

UPDATE 05/22/23: the above is INCORRECT, I must have recorded the activity as "Mountain Biking" and later changed the type in Connect. If you record an activity as "eMountain Biking" with the current 3.00 firmware, you will see Grit and Flow under MTB Dynamics but Jumps will NOT be recorded.

• Thanks for your reply. That's interesting. Before I got the eMTB, riding my analog bike under "MountainBiking" was showing all of my jumps (even the tiny ones). I'll have to test it and see if it still records jumps under MountainBiking to try and narrow it down a bit.

• Update: So for today's ride I selected the non eMTB activity "Mountain Biking" and jumps were recorded without issue. I'll try eMountain for my next ride and see if it records jumps or not. Please hold...

• Make sure to select "eMountain" and not "eBike" from the device, when you start the ride. Thinking about it... is it possible that you mistakenly selected eBike, the previous time? You can check that easily from Garmin Connect, and it would explain why you got no jumps recorded...

• Yes I am definitely selecting "eMountain". I see mtb dynamics for those rides, but Jumps shows "0". But they do show Flow and Grit.

• Update: Went on a ride today and set it to "eMountain", and no jumps were recorded! I do see Flow and Grit, but no jumps. Not sure why it isn't working for me, but I will just use the normal "Mountain Biking" activity and change it to eMountain within the Connect dashboard as that profile records jumps as expected.

• Bummer! If the unit is still under warranty, you might want to contact Garmin and see what they say. If not, just use the regular "Mountain Biking" type. As for changing the type after the activity was recorded, Garmin Connect (web) will give you a warning about some fields potentially being lost... not sure if MTB Dynamics are affected, but you might want to backup your activity as a .FIT file before you change the type. Should something go wrong, you can simply delete the activity and re-import it from the .FIT file.

Side note: I checked another ride I did (eMountain Bike) and it recorded Grit and Flow but no jumps, which I find strange. I'll keep an eye on it, I definitely have eMountain Bike activities where jumps were properly recorded, but maybe you're onto something here...

• Interesting. Were the rides with jumps older? I wonder if an update disabled the jumps recently, although I don't know why they would remove it. Maybe I'll try and submit a support issue with them and see what they say. 

• Yes it was the very last ride where I got no jumps recorded, but I've been on FW 3.00 since it came out in January, so no changes there. I'll do a quick test and let you know. 

• I regularly receive updates to my device as it's always showing an update is available and to Install. I would say I get an update every couple weeks or more. I assumed I was on 3.00, but until I actually plugged it into my computer, I found that I was still on 2.90(?). But that didn't help with my issue. Perhaps all the update notices I regularly get are some minor updates, and one of them broke the functionality at some point.