Strava Segments not transferring to Edge 1050

Garmin says this is a Strava issue and Strava says this is a Garmin issue.  I cannot get live segments to work.  I've tried everything I can think of (along with suggestions from Garmin & Strava).  Has anyone else had this same issue?  If so, what is the solution?

• Are you trying to get live segment to show up while navigating a route?  Embedding a live segment in a route is a known problem, and there's a simple temporary workaround to make it work.  If you can't get live segment to pop up while not following a route, this would be a problem that I've never heard of.  Let me know which issue you have, and if it's the former, I will post the temporary workaround (only applicable to navigating a route).

• I’m aware that live segments will not pop up when following a route.  I’m specifically talking about a situation where live segments should work. In my case, not when using a course and just riding along.

Additional back info…My previous Edge (1030+) never had any issues.  For that matter, all of my previous Garmin edge computers never had any issues.

Id hate to do a full reset on the edge, but I’m thinking this, unfortunately, might be my next step.

• Just curious.  What do you see under live segments on the 1050?  There's a menu to see all the live segments loaded on the unit.

• Hello Pdlpsher,

I made a route on Strava and try to get live segment but it doesn’t work.

If you have a workaround to make it work I am interested to test it.

Thanks.

• Sure.  With this workaround you don't need the GPS to be turned on.  Leave the GPS off.  The workaround is entirely done using your PC and your phone with the Garmin Connect app.  Leaving your GPS on may have negative consequences on the workaround.  Go to your Connect app on your phone, click 'more', click 'training and planning', click 'courses'.  Select the route in question and delete it.  Now go to your PC and open the Strava desktop website (I always use my PC to create routes), un-star the route, re-star the route.  The route will show up on your Connect app on your phone in a few seconds.  Open the route under the Connect app.  The start/end of any embedded live segments will show up as purple flags on the map.  If you don't see the purple flags then the live segments won't pop up.  Looking at the map to find the purple flags is a good way to know if the segments are embedded without riding the route.  Once the route looks good you could turn on the GPS and the updated route with the embedded segments will be downloaded to your GPS.  There's a very small percentage of segments that will never be embedded even with the workaround, even when the segment is an uphill segment (Garmin blocks downhill live segments), for reasons unknown.  I have reported this issue to Strava.  I'm not betting on a timely fix, since the bigger problem has been going on for years without a permanent fix.  Good luck.

• This is what the screen shows.  All my courses have come through without any issues.

As a reminder all my previous Garmin devices had the same settings and never had an issue.

• Open your Connect app on your phone, click on 'more', click on 'training and planning', click on 'segments', click on 'launch Strava'.  This will take you to the segment list on your Strava app on your phone.  What do you see there?  Alternatively, you could also check the segment list by gong to your Strava app on your phone, click on 'you', click on your emoji on the upper left corner, click on 'segments'.

• Hopefully Garmin will see this post and fix the bug.