Saved outdoor activity not showing any map data and won't upload to strava

I did two ride today and the second one isn't showing any map data. I've downloaded the fit file but its only 3kb and a manual upload to strava won't work as strava thinks the file is empty. This is the second time its happening on the 1050. Can anyone help fit pls.

• If your Garmin is not able to acquire a full GPS lock PRIOR to starting your activity, this is what happens.  Even if it later gets a lock and your speed and distance are accurate, it will not save the breadcrumbs to your FIT file.  Partial GPS lock is not good enough.

Every Garmin I've ever owned does this....the question though, is why some devices can be so slow in acquiring a lock even when they're updated to the latest satellite locations?  All the devices I've ever had got a lock in les than 30 seconds except for a Vivoactive 4 that at some point in it's life, would regularly take 5+ minutes some days but fast on others.

• Thanks so much for your reply. So, how do I tell if its fully acquired GPS lock before starting an activity? Same issue has happened today again and its pretty frustrating. The fit file is empty though its got all my stats from the ride except the route/map data.

On my device GPS settings, I had it on Auto Select... is it worth changing to Best Accuracy - Multi-GNSS Multi-Band or Balanced - Multi-GNSS? I never had this issue with my 830 before upgrading to this 1050. Thanks again.

• Your’re looking for 5 green bars before starting your ride.  It shouldn’t be taking that long to acquire a GPS lock though.  Try changing the GPS band options to see if that makes a difference and make sure you’ve got all the latest updates installed (‘check for updates’ in system).

• If you like: zip your fit file and upload it here, so we can check what‘s inside the file.

• So, I’m now convinced my head unit is faulty. I went out for a test ride this morning and a similar issue happened. Before starting the ride, I made sure the GPS signal was full bars. (Also updated the unit to the latest version 10.19 few days ago). I rode around my local bike path and before saving the activity, no course data for where I’d been, was shown on the map.

About a minute later after saving the ride, it did show up and I was feeling hopeful. But now it appears to be a malformed fit file on garmin connect as it only shows the last 10 minutes of the ride on map. (But on the 1050 it shows the full map info).

Again, it won’t automatically sync with strava (the accounts are linked) and a manual update only shows the last 10 mins of the ride.

On garmin connect, it’s got all my power data and stats, just the map data appears to be malformed. Something is definitely not right here and I’m not sure what else to do.

I’ll upload the fit files from last time and today’s ride, if anyone can help pls. Thanks a lot.

• I rode around my local bike path and before saving the activity, no course data for where I’d been, was shown on the map.

I‘m wondering:
    -Does it mean, you never saw th history line (already ridden course, cyan colored by default)?

-Your first picture shows the screen of your Edge before tapping „Save“. If you look at the elevation graph, it starts on a clearly lower level as it ends, but beneath it says: ascent equals descent: 454 ft. That does not match! Maybe the elevation graph also shows only the saved section.

It would be interesting (and carefully watched on your next ride) if there is or is not the history line visible!

• Find enclosed a zip file with 2 Excel sheets and a screenshot of the activity shown in FitfileRepairtool.
    The Fitfile contents only 2.95 km of your ride.

More interesting than the zip fit from Garmin Connect would be the original fitfile saved on your Edge in \Activities!

FitFileRepairTool-Activity--20241012.zip

• Hiya. No, unlike last couple time where I used a saved course, this ride was down a local path I know so didn’t need navigation. I just clicked the start activity button and rode. But at the end of the rides, it doesn’t show the outline of the route I’ve been on which happened today again but eventually behaved (photo on the right).

However when it synced to garmin connect, it only came through as a 10 minutes route. And yeah the elevation is all messed up too! Very boggling! I’ve contacted garmin support and pointed them to this thread as well. I’ll leave an update if I hear more. Thanks so much for looking into it.

• this ride was down a local path I know so didn’t need navigation. I just clicked the start activity button and rode.

No need to navigate. Just after starting a recording (after press start button) the history line (cyan) will show the track you have ridden on the map. Have you checked if it is there?