RideWithGPS course POIs

I am interested in using the Edge 1040 for ultra-endurance riding and touring. I use RideWithGPS and have tried to import the POIs generated into Garmin Connect.

I know this question has been raised before, and use the Export as GPX function, clicking the "include POI as waypoints" option.

The Garmin Connect web viewer properly displays the POIs as Course Points, however when this is transferred to my Edge, all Course Points display at 0km and are therefore useless.

Garmin has states that Course Points may not be properly imported when using watches (here) - "When importing a third-party course with waypoints into Garmin Connect, waypoints may not be preserved and may not appear on the watch when following the course. It is recommended to create Course Points in Garmin Connect. For more information on Course Points, and viewing them on a watch, see Related."

Is there any workaround for this on an Edge?

Thanks in advance!

• I've tried this - works like a charm (albeit potentially with a lot of work depending on how many POIs are saved). Thanks for the tip!

• I don't know if this helps, but I import my POIs with the garmin POI Loader app. You import your GPXs, with the PDIs created on your RWG in POILoader app, and the PIO Load app loads them in 1040 with the right images and names.

• This seems like a great solution. What are you referring to when you say clean all custom cues? I have a route for an event in GWGPS Route Planner. It has all the turn cues and I added the three rest stops as custom cues. Am I missing something?

• Not missing anything. RWGPS cuesheet can be quite cluttered, therefore I usually clean the routes automatically created cues. Ie all turns, then recreate where necessary.

• I am also into ultra endurance cycling events (300-500 miles, 24-50+ hours). This is the process I follow to get my RwGPS POI's into my Garmin 1040:

- I clear all auto-generated course cues. In RwGPS course -> Edit -> Delete All Cues (bottom right side of screen). Note: I've already disabled RwGPS cuesheet generation as I don't find it useful: when editing a course, in the map area of screen -> Settings -> disable Generate Cuesheet box

- I create manual Custom Cues for each of my POIs (food, water, caution points, etc). In the route editing mode, right side of screen -> Custom Cue. You then click on the course/map and add your details (type, text). Note text shown on the Garmin will be limited to 10 characters only.

- Once your RwGPS route is finalized, export it to FIT and put it in the Garmin\New Files folder. Also works via pinning a route in RwGPS - this didn't use to work in the past, as custom cues were not sync'd using that method. Your Garmin 1040 cuesheet will only show your custom cues and none of the left and right hand turn info that clutters things in an ultra event.

Hope that was clear enough and hope it helps.