This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

17.26 killed off ant+ sensor connections

This is the first time this has happened with my 1040 solar.  17.25 of the firmware had no issues for me.  The search log file in:
D:\Garmin\Debug
says:

set_srch_net_chnl_cfg(): start ANT+ search
No channels available for searching
ANT_search: Search is inactive

I can add all the files if it helps to fix it. Using the core temp sensor data field and the alpha 1 (https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/apps/1a69b10a-1d31-4afe-a32f-6a579ae20d9f) as apps that pair to sensors directly

BLE sensors seem to connect fine

• Removing the di2 "sensor" allowed the search to find the di2, power meter, and wahoo kickr over ant.  But then after adding the power meter and di2 it can't connect and stays disconnected

• 17.28 allows the power meter to connect but not di2.  (can't add a bug to the bug forum as the button is missing to add a new bug)

• 17.29 still has this issue.  Searches for sensors and then when sensors are turned on (di2, assioma pedals) it switched to saying disconnected and won't connect.  Garmin 1030 and fenix 7 still works fine with the same sensors

• Can't add this not on the bug report I filed

• Same here. 1040 connects, finds all sensors (distance, power, heart rate ANT+) before ride start, then a minute or two later drops them all. A full reboot fixes, but cant be done in the middle of a ride. Sometimes disabling the sensors and re-enabling, clicking on ' connect' works. 

• I belatedly noticed there has been a xx30 beta going on for a couple of weeks with the single item

• A fix to address sensor dropout issues experienced by some customers

and as these things go a lot of people saying it works and some saying not.

Observations in the xx30 beta Community Discussion threads

• I don't know why the search didn't take me here but I just posted the following on an older thread (as it's the only "pertinent one" that would come up). I foud this thread walking the "beta testor" report thread. What I had posted here (deleted since here is a better place):

I just bought my 1040 Solar and am experiencing this "extreme" instability with the sensors ,constantly disconnecting.

Firmware is the latest 17.29

I did not know about the 'hard power off' "solution" (I'll test it next) but I find this absolutely ridiculous for such an expensive device.

The same sensor (DuoTrap S) didn't have as many issues with my old 820 and it would ususally start being an issue when the battery was really low.

Even with a brand new battery it's only being detected via blutooth (when I delete and rescan for the device) and doesn't even work!

I've tried:

- delete device re-detect (while rolling and not rolling, in and not in an activity)

- delete device, use detected BLE device ...but got no data (RPM)

- stop ride, force connect, delete, detect, connect...still no data

It also takes a very long time for devices to be detected (including my HRM)...when they get detected...

I'll be trying the 'cold boot' approach but this is...ridiculous.

NOTE: I work in the low level software/integration and write protocol encoders/decoders for a living... I'd be willing to get this going but ...seriously... what the *** is going on here...?

• It might be poor firmware - which in my case seems most likely, as it seems that going into sleep creates the problem very frequently, while I have not seen one sensor drop in rides that I start from a full power off.
    It might be hardware - maybe they've gone overboard in saving power in ANT receivers, not as sensitive as the one in Edge1000, for example (where in 8 years, >1000 rides I only experience drops from a power sensor that has since proven to be a weak design, fixed in their new version hardware (Stages, who admitted to it and replaced old cranks with new ones).

I am hoping it is firmware, and that it gets fixed soon.  Going against it are the numerous reports of dropouts in 1030 series, years ago...

• Before each ride i must make "hard power off" to connect ANT+ sensors.  17.29

• The same thing happens to me. Edge 1040 connects and finds all ANT+ sensors (speed, power, heart rate, varies) and yesterday also Bluetooth for LiveTrack before the start of the run.

After a few minutes or maybe even an hour it loses all ANT+ and BT.

Turning it off and on again fixes it, but whatever I try to do while the activity is going on seems to fail like reconnecting the same sensors.

I noticed the LiveTrack at home.

Edge ver. 17.29