This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

14.20 Update broke Varia Radar / Light support

Ever since 14.14, I no longer can form a light network with the Varia RTL515. I also need to manually connect the radar in sensors each ride in order for it to connect, but the light feature no longer works at all. The light won't connect and shows in the light network (I also have a Varia UT800 Head light). I have tried deleting all the sensors and even resetting the RTL515 and pairing fresh, but it will only pair the radar and the light on the RTL515 can't been seen anymore. Confirmed there's not an issue with the RTL515 by pairing it with my old Garmin Edge 830 and it worked fine so definitely something with the 14.20 update broke it.

• Yeah.. I knows sensors can be an issue but it's remarkable as these are all garmin products. In any event, I'm using the RTL515 as a "dumb" taillight manually turning it on/off and just using the radar feature (though I still need to always got o sensors -> connect each time I turn on the RTL515. It's manageable but annoying. The UT800 works fine on the light network and I've even tried removing it and only using the RTL515 and no difference, so it's not like the other device is interfering with the operation of the RTL515 on the light network. 

• So I tried another procedure. I reset UT800 and RTL515 (8 seconds). I found if I pair only UT800 OR RTL515, it works well. When pairing both lights, UT800 won't connect.

• Thanks Gerald. Still no joy for me... I have tried resetting and re-adding the UT800 and RTL515 several times but it hasn't fixed the problem. The light network still won't form. I am now just using the radar and controlling the lights manually. It's a shame Garmin won't acknowledge and fix such a basic problem with their flagship cycling product!

• I'm having the same but opposite issue since the last update.  In the morning when I ride with the UT800 and the RTL510 the headlight works fine, but the radar drops off network within a quarter mile.  Have to turn it on "dumb".  In the afternoon when only running the RTL510 it works like a champ.  In any case...the only time I have an issue now is when running both the headlight and tail light in combination.

• it seems my 1040 solar still has the issue with the 14.50 and 15.23 firmware, have you updated your firmware now?

• I did, but it seems like it was my original RTL515.  When I got the replacement unit, everything started working.  Even though the 515 worked fine with the 12.x firmware, and broke with the 14.50, the replacement unit had no issues.

• Many thanks for the reply! what unit did you have replace? the edge 1040 or the rtl 515? do you still have the firmware 12.x on your machine? if you have, could you share it with me? I didn't keep the receipt for either the edge or varia, therefore might not be able to request for replacement.

• They replaced the 1040 first and that didn't change anything.  It was fixed when they replaced the 515.  I didn't have the receipt but it was registered...which it has to be to update the firmware.  Have you called tech support?  I have the 12.x firmware.  Installing it will reset everything on your device.  I can't find the firmware online anymore...How would I get the file to you? Its 26 MB

• Hi Ned, yes the 12.x firmware has been removed by Garmin and cannot be found anywhere on the internet. It would be very helpful if you could share it with me. You can upload it to google drive or we-transfer and send the link to my email address.  I suspect it might also resolve the issue relates to the ebikemotion ant+ connection. Both my RTL515 and ebike connect well with my Edge 1030 plus, but not the 1040 solar.

you can also try send it to my email directly if Gmail accepts the file size. Many thanks in advance!

• Sent on we-trans.  You should get an email...