This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

14.20 Update broke Varia Radar / Light support

Ever since 14.14, I no longer can form a light network with the Varia RTL515. I also need to manually connect the radar in sensors each ride in order for it to connect, but the light feature no longer works at all. The light won't connect and shows in the light network (I also have a Varia UT800 Head light). I have tried deleting all the sensors and even resetting the RTL515 and pairing fresh, but it will only pair the radar and the light on the RTL515 can't been seen anymore. Confirmed there's not an issue with the RTL515 by pairing it with my old Garmin Edge 830 and it worked fine so definitely something with the 14.20 update broke it.

• Recommend calling Garmin Support tomorrow and see what they say.  Friday they were telling me that they were not seeing this problem...wonder what they will say tomorrow...

• I am having exactly the same problem. The Varia RTL515 radar works with my new 1040, but I can't get a light network to form. I have added and deleted the UT800 and RTL515 several times without fixing the problem. The UT800 shows as "Searching" and the RTL5125 light as "Disconnected". 

• FWIW, I just got a new 1040, and used the profile migration option from my 820.  My Varia RTL515 would immediately disconnect, sending a "radar disconnected" message to the 1040 every second. I removed the sensor from the 1040, and did the 8-second reset on the RTL515.  Now they are both working flawlessly.  

Maybe not be a solution that works for everyone, but it worked for me.  I suspect the "sensor profile migration" is where it all went wrong, and the reset on the RTL (forget who you were paired to) is what fixed it.

• Interesting...I did the 8 sec reset about 5 times while on the phone with a Garmin tech...no joy.  Thanks for the input. Cheers

• Thanks - this worked for me. 

• Update: I enrolled in the public beta and when 14.50 was released I got that on my device and sort of got it working now but it was a wonky process. Here's what I ended up doing that worked:

1. Removed all lights from the light network (UT800 + RTL 515 that would never connect but showed up)
    2. Removed the RTL515 from Radar
    3. Hard reset both UT800 & RTL515 by holding power until it rebooted and went to initial pairing mode
    4. First added the UT800 as a light and it formed a light network with that single light
    5. In the light network screen, added the RTL515 as a LIGHT - it then actually connected but the radar did not
    6. Went into the senor screen and saw the RTL515 was added as a radar but not connected. Tapped on the connect button and it also connected

After those steps, both the light & radar functionality worked. I have not yet tested to see if this automatically all re-connects, but at least I'm able now to control the taillight feature in the light network whereas previously I could only connect the radar (but had to connect it manually via tapping connect sensor for each ride). Hopefully they are making some progress but it's still a wonky config. Hope this works for others too. 

• This was pretty much what I had to do when I got the 1040 on the original firmware. I’m not using the lights yet out on a ride but I tried them again with the latest firmware and all stays working and connected and the radar is active. 

What is still annoying me is if you are not using the radar you still get the symbol in the top right.  It doesn’t ever go away even if you disable both light and radar.  It did do this before on the 1030.  The only way to remove it is a hard reset of the 1040. It does all come back fine if I re enable everything again but just doesn’t remove the radar symbol if not being used. 

• Update here that 14.50 beta didn't seem to actually fix things so still noting there's an issue and will post on the update on the beta channel as well. After working once, it's back to not being able to control the RTL515 as a light (or see it) and the radar works but has to be manually connected to each time (doesn't find the sensor)

• Same issue with my UT800, it’s driving me mad the amount of times I’ve tried to get it to connect. It worked once and now it just says disconnected. 

• This is obviously an issue with the 14.20 firmware.  I just received a somewhat snarky email from Garmin saying that my problem is the only one out there. Worst customer support I have ever received from Garmin.  I even sent them a link to this thread which they have chosen to ignore.