This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Navigation screen problem ?

Ok , its probably user error,  my old 830 was fine ( nice big 3d arrow thats now gone :-(   )  One more moan before i get onto my other moan, how the *** do you see this screen in shadows, its almost invisible, maybe its a solar issue and the fact I need reading glasses, and there's me thinking the big 1040 would be easier to see than my 830 lol. 

Any way, the point of my question. When I stop on the bike while navigating to have a proper look at the display map to work out a complicated direction and to get my bearings the bloody map screen keeps rotating, this is with the handle bars set dead ahead, its not good for my orientation and makes its hard for me to actually get my bearings from the screen. 

Is this a bug or something i need to get used to ? 

• The map rotating could be if you have ForkSight enabled?

• Ok, the link from tjj 1664 is exactly the same as my issue, some good reading there, i sort of feel better I'm not alone lol. I read the posts until the end but the conclusion was a bit vague, I think there replacement unit cured the problem ? 

Aweatherall  I have not tried the option you gave with regards to turning of the fork option ( to be honest not even sure what that is so will have a google how to turn it off) if its actually activated . 

From  all the helpful replies I am getting its giving me the feeling that this problem is not effecting many so is sort of leading me to thinking my unit could be faulty :-(  

If I had posted this question and had the response they all do that then I guess I live with it or sell it and move back to my 830. 

• It could be that the in-factory calibration is off. The magnetic compass is only activated when you are stationary. Add the compass page to you list of active pages. If the compass looks wrong when stopped I would suggest contacting Garmin Support as they may need to replace the unit. The Forksight setting is under the activity profile MTB/CX options.

• Edge 1040

• This is a very good video that shows the problem exactly: as soon as you stop and the compass is in charge, the map orientation goes crazy.

(I remember your problems with the Edge 1030, but there the problem was in addition that "track up" did not work even while driving).

Can it be that only APAC devices are affected?

• If it does the same outside the car then I agree there is a problem. Using a magnetic compass inside a car is likely to have issues.

I would contact Garmin Support and explain the situation. It sounds like the unit does need replacing.

• If it does the same outside the car then I agree there is a problem.

That‘s what I wrote a year ago when  submitted videos taken in his car. But then he showed videos on his bike and there were the same problems.
    forums.garmin.com/.../1206898

• Ok guys just rigged up my old 830. This picture is at the top of my street stationary, the 830 is perfect, the 1040 is actually 180 degrees out showing the road behind me as in front at the top of the screen. 

This picture is on the move, both units correct. 

Some pictures of the compass on both units stationary . 

Now I have had chance to look at the problem from the comfort of home I realise why I just gave up trying to look at the 1040 while out navigating the other day, from a stop its just to hard to work out where to go at a complicated junction. 

I don't use the compass but they both look different reading to me? 

• So this issue happens only when following a navigation course or also when free riding?