This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Navigation screen problem ?

Ok , its probably user error,  my old 830 was fine ( nice big 3d arrow thats now gone :-(   )  One more moan before i get onto my other moan, how the *** do you see this screen in shadows, its almost invisible, maybe its a solar issue and the fact I need reading glasses, and there's me thinking the big 1040 would be easier to see than my 830 lol. 

Any way, the point of my question. When I stop on the bike while navigating to have a proper look at the display map to work out a complicated direction and to get my bearings the bloody map screen keeps rotating, this is with the handle bars set dead ahead, its not good for my orientation and makes its hard for me to actually get my bearings from the screen. 

Is this a bug or something i need to get used to ? 

• Just  riding without navigation and the same with navigation. I think the unit must be faulty, it would be nice to take it back to the shop ( 2 weeks old and used 3 times) and walk out with a replacement but i guess that's not going to happen. 

I will probably have to leave it with them while they send it back or i send it back myself :-( 

• From Edge 1030 plus to now Edge 1040, I can easily see the map rotate when stopped

• The error is clearly visible.
    But what makes me wondering is that you have this error both with the 1030 and now with the 1040.
    The video shows that you are using a case on the device. Is it possible that the case contains some kind of magnet?
    (I apologize already for the probably stupid question… Joy)

• The error is clearly visible.

I'm not sure what unit is in the video. The map keeps rotating to the same orientation (about 90' to the left).

When moving, north is nearly directly ahead. When stopped, north is nearly 90' to the right.

If the unit was using GPS to determine orientation when stopped, it would tend to be different (it wouldn't keep pointing to the same direction and move around while stopped).

All that suggests the compass orientation isn't correct.

But what makes me wondering is that you have this error both with the 1030 and now with the 1040.

The 1030 doesn't have a compass. It relies on GPS to determine orientation, which doesn't really work when stopped.

The 1040 (and the 1030+) both have electronic compasses. They should be using that information to orient the map when stopped.

• The 1030 doesn't have a compass

He had a PLUS!
    Sorry for my inaccuracy.

• Did you ever get a new unit from Garmin ?  I've just sent the shop where i purchased mine from ( 2 weeks ago) an email explaining the problem. They will then send this off to Garmin so hopefully i will get a positive result and a new unit. 

I wont hold my breath . 

• In conversation with Garmin on this it is a software not a hardware issue. So they are working on a software fix.

• 1030 PLUS has been sold
    Daytime video is 1040 SOLAR
    The video at night is 1040(non-SOLAR), the shooting is not very good

Thanks for your previous help

• Earlier this year I shipped the 1030 PLUS back to Garmin for testing and they just told me the device was fine but the problem wasn't resolved
    So I hope more users on the forum will confirm this bug and get Garmin's attention