This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Navigation screen problem ?

Ok , its probably user error,  my old 830 was fine ( nice big 3d arrow thats now gone :-(   )  One more moan before i get onto my other moan, how the *** do you see this screen in shadows, its almost invisible, maybe its a solar issue and the fact I need reading glasses, and there's me thinking the big 1040 would be easier to see than my 830 lol. 

Any way, the point of my question. When I stop on the bike while navigating to have a proper look at the display map to work out a complicated direction and to get my bearings the bloody map screen keeps rotating, this is with the handle bars set dead ahead, its not good for my orientation and makes its hard for me to actually get my bearings from the screen. 

Is this a bug or something i need to get used to ? 

• Does that mean the map on devices like the new Explore 2, which does not seem to have a compass, will randomly rotate away from the track direction when stopped or will the direction implied by the last few GPS positions prevent this?

• I've been in contact with the shop and forwarded my email off to them, they have explained there standing with regards to replacing my unit stands with Garmin and not them, to be fair to the shop they are restricted in what they can and cannot do with regards Garmin product and have been quiet sympathetic in there response. 

They have informed me that Garmin have asked me to contact them direct with regards to this issue. 

I have sent them an email with regards to this email yesterday and awaiting a reply. 

I'm intrigued to know if all Garmin 1040 units exhibit the same issue i am experiencing or just a few units affected. From this initial post it would appear there is just two of us with the 1040 that appear to be in this position . 

• I've bought 2 edge 1030 plus in the past and now have 2 edge 1040, all 4 devices have the same problem, at least in Taiwan I can confirm this is not a rare case, just because there are relatively few people using map navigation

• Wow, for me its not fit for purpose , i stop the bike to look at the map and  have a look round to see where different trails or roads take me so i can decide if those routes are worth taking.  I find it impossible to make sense of a map orientated the wrong way and moving :-( 

• Hello Mak

I have the same problem with the 1040 EDGE SOLAR that I bought about two weeks ago.
    As soon as I stop the bike the map rotates and I have an orientation problem.
    I returned the device to the supplier to check the device and fix the problem. 
    The supplier promised to return the device within two weeks. Hope with a solution to the problem.
    I also wrote an email to GARMIN PRODUCT SUPPORT with the description of the problem.
    I was told they would present the problem to Garmin engineers.
    Sometimes I have a similar problem with OREGON 700.
    I solve it easily before riding by doing COMPASS CALIBRATION .
    In 1040 EDGE there is no such option.
    Hope they solve the problem!!!!!

MOSHE
  • Hello Rouge,

I did exactly what you suggest but there is no response when clicking Calibrate.
  • That's interesting, i shall give the above method a try. 

Hi Moshesobe

The shop replaced my 1040 with a new one without Garmin's consent so fair play to them. My new unit exhibited the same behaviour but less so. The new unit rotates when stationery and after a few seconds finds its bearings and holds it heading allowing me to get my bearings and investigate trails. The old unit would just spin and end up in the wrong orientation when stopped. 

Garmin did eventually reach out to me with regards this issue and a nice chap from there support side was helpful , ultimately the correspondence ended after i was asked to download the files from the Garmin and send it to them via there upload support porthole. 

I tried everything possible including separate zip files in several downloads but all failed due to size and time outs. 

I am happy with my second unit now because it is usable and the initial spinning of the map is only for a few seconds. 

It is odd though, my old 830 was rock solid. 

• Hi Mak,

I am waiting to receive the device back from the GARMIN DEALER.
    Hopefully after the problem is solved.

• Hi guys,

This is the mail I sent to Garmin Support.

Note that the problem exists in E Mountain Bikes.

The Mail:

For your information, identifying details of the device

Unit ID 3422294878

Software Version 14.5 (17966470d6)

GPS Version 2.32.

As I wrote, the problem is that when I stop on the bike while navigating to have a proper look at the display map to work out a complicated direction and to get my bearings, the map screen keeps rotating,

I returned the device to the dealer and asked for the payment back. He sent me another new device whose details are above.

The new device has the same problem.

I ride an E Mountain Bike and I thought that the device might be affected by a magnetic field, so I moved the device away from the KIOX screen and it was a miracle that the map did not rotate when stopped , when I brought the device closer to the KIOX screen, the map rotated towards the screen. Apparently the device is not resistant to even tiny magnetic fields.

The problem exists for other riders who don't know how to solve it

Asking for your advice on how to handle the problem.

• Apparently the device is not resistant to even tiny magnetic fields.

The earth's has a tiny (weak) magnetic field.