This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Route using the wrong cached directions.

Interesting bug today. I loaded a route to climb Les Deux Alpes in France and it gave me directions for another of my routes in South West London in the UK. I wondered why I was constantly being directed to my local park. Had to remove the cached version and recalculate once I realised. Not seen this before. 

• So it seems to be confirmed that the course ghosts still haunt the 1040 even if the courses have been deleted via the 1040 user interface, anyone seeing this on the 14.x betas or conversely if they had it with 12.x but not getting it with the beta, just trying to establish if the developers were aware of it and might have fixed it?

• You might be onto something here. What I did just now was:

• Move a GPX file with a course to the NewFiles folder.
    • Turn the Edge off.
    • Go outside.
    • Turn the Edge on.
    • Wait for a satellite fix.
    • Select the course and tap Ride.

The course was shown in dark purple, and there was no ghost course in light pink with chevrons.

So it might indeed be that the order of 'getting satellite fix' and 'select course and tap Ride' does matter. Another possibility of course is that the order of 'turn on device' and 'select course and tap Ride' matters.

And I am still wondering where on the Edge the ghost course is cached/stored. Because although it didn't show just now, it's probably still there somewhere, waiting to haunt me...

• Did the same this morning.

• Move a GPX file with a course to the NewFiles folder.
    • Turn the Edge off.
    • Go outside.
    • Turn the Edge on.
    • Wait for a satellite fix.
    • Select the course and tap Ride.

Again, no ghost course.

However, after a while I rode into a tunnel and the Edge lost satellite reception. When I left the tunnel and the Edge got satellite reception again, it said "Couse found." and the ghost course appeared, with white chevrons and directional arrows.

So it looks like the ghost course appears when the Edge decides that it has found the course and starts navigating. (Note that this is the bug that when you ride a course (but not navigate it), the Edge starts navigating it (instead of riding it) when it "finds" the course. This bug is described here.) However, instead of navigating the current course, the Edge starts navigating the ghost course.

I suppose I will have to reset my Edge (again Disappointed). I will try to compare the files before and after the reset, to see if I can find the file where the ghost course is stored or cached.

• Try turn off the off-course warning

• I had turned off the off.course warning since the first day. Still I saw the ghost tracks many times. BTW. I also have turned off the turn-by-turn directions (or whatever the translation of German "Abbiegehinweise" is.) In other threads, it was discussed, that this setting won't be honered anyway. 

@mweijs, I'd assume that parts of data is cached in some NVRAM (non volatile RAM) that will not be shown in the file system.

Currently I am on a multi day bike journey, at places where my Edge 1040 has never been before. I do have stored some alternative tracks for each stage (so info about different tracks in the same area is on the device). Of each alternatives, I have only loaded one option. Not seen any ghost tracks here.

Unfortunately, the device is frustrating on my journey. One freeze or automatic reset every day. Today it restarted spontaneously several times in a row. 

• No-one reportedly haunted by the ghost course issue seems to be using the 14.x beta, especially latest 14.14, so we don't know if this will still be a thing in the next release too, I would try it myself but I have never seen the ghost courses. Perhaps knows if Garmin developers are on to it yet and have a solution?

• I had a similar situation when I tested the Edge 1030 plus in car mode on the highway

• No specific mention in the change log of a fix for this issue in the new Beta 14.15 announced today, unless it is in the general issue group  "- Fixed more misc bugs and further improved stability"

forums.garmin.com/.../public-beta-14-15-is-available

ps this is now in the "Beta Program" section of the forum rather than the 1040 Device forum

• I assume this problem went away with 14.x releases but I got it yesterday., I have 14,50 loaded,

About 8kms into a ride I noticed an expected turn notification had not occurred, (I was NOT using "Turn Guidance" which was set to Disable, but using Course Points). a few hundred metres further I could see the Location Cursor was not in my current location but lagging a few hundred metres. The GPS was set to the lowest level but there was not much tree cover or buildings.

I stopped the course and reloaded but then saw that there was no chevrons / arrows on the route line, reloaded again but still no chevrons, carried on for another 22 kms with intermittent issues with turn notifications and apparent location. Turned a corner and up ahead another route line with chevrons started showing at the top of the map (note I had my route line set to Green via MapTheme customisation)

This was a route I had done a month ago , the 1040 started giving multiple  "Stop Course" messages , I hit the X (for no) about 10 times but it  just then give another message, finally stopped the messages. Continued and as I started to cross the old route it started giving "Turn Guidance arrows even though "Turn Guidance" was disabled, continued with the arrows until I was 100m past the overlap point. 30kms later I again recrossed where the old route would have been but it was no longer there?

Another 20 kms the location driffed again and the "Course Point Distance was showing that the course was about 75m away and the 1040 started giving "Pause Navigation" / Re-Route" options (again even though Turn Guidance was still disabled.

I cranked the GPS level to maximum and that seems to fix the location and I was able to finish the last 10k

Looking at the various Garmin directories I have 18 Courses but 23 files in the CALCS directory and 32 in the POINTCACHE directory, I will clean them up via deleting all Courses with the Course UI and delete anything left and reload Courses.

I am assuming the loss of the chevrons and other issues had something to do with the Ghost Course and the location issues were related to the low GPS level setting??

• I've got exactly the same issue than all of you. Did someone found a solution to this annoying problem ? Nobody mentioned it, but I also got (once I crossed the pink cached new line) a warning sing appearing in white/red (even if sharped bend or busy streets notifications have been switched to off). Gosh, the Fenix 6x mapping was flawless compare to this unit...