This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to ride a course instead of navigating it

There is a difference between riding a course and navigating a course on the Garmin Edge 1040. When you ride a course, you see the thick purple line on the map that indicates the route and that you have to follow, like a bread crumb trail. When you navigate a course, the thick purple line on the map is decorated with directional chevrons and big white arrows at junctions or turns, and the turn guidance screen pops up when you approach a junction or a turn.

I prefer to ride a course instead of navigating it. My question is: How can I do that, that is, how can I ride a course and not navigate it? When I start riding, I select a pre-loaded course, and click Ride. This makes the Edge 1040 start navigating the course. To stop navigation, I have to tap the screen so the overlay shows, and click Pause Navigation. This is slightly annoying, but I can live with it.

However, when I ride off course and later go back on course, the Edge 1040 immediately starts navigating again. It says 'Navigation Resumed' in a grey balloon at the top of the screen, and 'Course found.' in a black rectangle at the bottom of the screen. The chevrons and the white arrows reappear on the map, and the turn guidance screen starts popping up at each junction or turn (even though Turn Guidance is switched off). To stop navigation, I again have to tap the screen for the overlay to show and click Pause Navigation. This is annoying.

The Edge 1040 decides quite often that I am riding off course and then on course again. This does not only happen when I do deviate from the course, but also when I stop by the side of the road at a bar for a pause, or sometimes for no apparent reason, maybe due to bad satellite reception or whatever. The thing is, the Edge 1040 constantly "finds" the course and immediately starts navigating it, forcing me to manually switch it off again.

Turn Guidance and Off Course Warnings (under Navigation > Courses > 3 vertical dots) are both off.

I have tried the Course Recalculation and the Route Recalculation options (under Activity Profiles > pick one > Navigation > Routing), but they do not seem to do much.

This never happened on my previous Edge devices (Edge 1030 and Edge 800).

Does anybody have any ideas on how to permanently disable navigation? Or is this just a bug in the Edge 1040?

• To the best of my experience with Edge 305,705,800,530 & 1040 the only way to just have   a course shown without navigating is to enable Allways Dispaly . www.google.com/url

• No, that is not what I mean by riding a course. That is just showing a thin line on the map (in any color you choose), without any functionality attached to it. When you ride a course, however, a thick purple line shows on the map, but more importantly, data fields such as 'Distance to Destination' show a meaningful value. When you are not riding the course, data fields such as 'Distance to Destination' do not show a value.

• I think that turn guidance : Off does not work as it should be 

• I think that turn guidance : Off does not work as it should be 

This would be a 1040 show stopper for me, I almost always ride with "Turn Guidance" disabled, often with some course points, all other garmin devices I have owned work as the OP describes when I have "turn guidance" OFF, if this is not the case with the 1040 it will be NO NO 1040 for me. Can others confirm that turn guidance can not be disabled?

PS I don't like the route chevron "decorations" and would love to have a means of removing them, A number of "screenshots" on Garmin Marketing sits show greatly diminished size chevrons and I was greatly encouraged the 1040 was going to have less route clutter than the x30s are burdened with. There is even one of these screenshots in the user manual but they seem to be more "artists impressions" rather than real deceptions of 1040 screens.

• That is only one of the problems. Another problem is that when the Edge 1040 finds (or thinks that it has found) the course, it starts navigating it, even when navigation of the course was paused.

• I had the same issue that the turn guidance switch didn’t have an effect and I still got guidance maneuvers shown. I discovered that the settings is working after a full power cycle, i.e. long press the power button, select Power off and power on again. 

• Further to the "screenshots" showing small rather than big chevrons I notice that in the marketing materials for the recently released Explore 2 the same small chevrons are used and even some (mocked up?) video of the navigation screen with the small chevrons. Don't know if this indicates what the marketing department thinks looks better (I would agree with them) or where some future enhancement might take it. The Explore 2 seems to share the 1040s features / UI minus a lot of the "performance" stuff..

PS with a speed of 87.5kph you should be riding in France with the other elite pros.

• Gps simulator =on, just for you Slight smile

• One way that I have obtained, what I understand you are looking for, is to switch the "Always Display" on, in the settings of a given course, where you can also choose the color of the line on the map. That way you can see and ride the course, without pop-ups, prompts, recalculations or other disturbances, as it is simply shown on the map, even if you haven't chosen to navigate it. Only consideration is to remember to toggle the "Always Display" off, for the courses that you do not want to see, so that the map doesn't get too cluttered.